Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about blackout treatment for cyano

Hello all,

I have a mild case of cyano in my 10 gallon betta tank and I'd like to nip it in the bud before it gets too bad. I just did my weekly water change and plucked all the affected leaves. Unfortunately it's in the java moss, but that needed a haircut anyway. I figure it's best to do the treatment right after a water change, so the tank doesn't get too dirty during treatment.

Questions:

1. I know that you wrap the tank so that no light gets in, and no peeking during the three days. I also know this means no feeding Boris, or putting in the daily drop or two of vita-chem. However I have a small zucchini slice for the snails in there, should I remove that?

2. I plan to wrap the tank when I turn the lights off today, and leave the lights off for Mon/Tues/Wed and turn them on Thursday morning. I haven't fed Boris yet today; should I feed him the normal amount, a few pellets more, or a few pellets less?

3. Should I put a couple algae wafer bits or shrimp pellet chunks in, for the snails or Boris to munch on?

4. Should I expect my plants to be looking sad on Thursday morning? It's mostly one crypt that's been affected, and even though I've had to snip a bunch of leaves off it's putting out a couple baby shoots. I'm hoping they'll be okay, so that they replace what I've had to remove.

Thanks for your info!

Personally I would give it 5 days to be certain, boris will be ok, feed him today and then wrap him up.

As for the plants, yeah they will be a bit sad but will recover within a day or two, might lose a new shoot but nothing they wont put out again
    -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
    If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
    Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

Five days?! Aww I'll feel bad for Boris I feel like he'll be lonely/bored in the dark for so long haha.

Comment

probably will be but then again we all take vacations lol
        -Jim-

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

This is true, but at least the lights would still come on

Comment

true but then again this is just an extended nap.
            -Jim-

Comment

Hahaha this is true. I'll just feel bad. I'm sure I'm just anthropomorphizing but oh well.

Comment

I know it will be hard to do, but you need to commit to a blackout. Knowing myself I would probably unwrap after 4 days. 3 is the minimum to kill off the BBA. If there are any remaining, then remove the plant and give it a long dip in a hydrogen peroxide bath. That should finish it off.

Then, figure out what is causing the algae, or as you know it will quickly return.
                - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
                Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
                Socrates

Comment

I would put Boris in a LARGE Vase until you conquered this problem.... at least he would or you would be able to interact.... shoot I spend time in front of my QT tank letting them know everything will be alright... just don't stress out...
                  It does not matter if you are right or wrong...
                  As long as you learn and Keep Moving Forward!

~Anthony

Comment

Originally posted by catsma_97504 View Post
                    I know it will be hard to do, but you need to commit to a blackout. Knowing myself I would probably unwrap after 4 days. 3 is the minimum to kill off the BBA. If there are any remaining, then remove the plant and give it a long dip in a hydrogen peroxide bath. That should finish it off.

Then, figure out what is causing the algae, or as you know it will quickly return.
                    I believe you said that low nitrates can cause cyano, and as I've added two small mystery snails, hopefully they'll help with that. I'm also decreasing the photoperiod. The cyano spreads very slowly - after removing anything that's visible, it's a couple weeks before I see it again - so I'm hoping that means it'll be easy to get rid of.

Originally posted by Anthony View Post
                    I would put Boris in a LARGE Vase until you conquered this problem.... at least he would or you would be able to interact.... shoot I spend time in front of my QT tank letting them know everything will be alright... just don't stress out...
                    Ooh I actually like that idea My apartment is pretty cold, but I do have a tiny heater (I bought it when I first started actually learning about fish, and had a betta in a large bowl). Maybe I'll go out and get something big enough.

Comment

And the best thing it wouldn't be to big of a deal to do daily water changes
                      It does not matter if you are right or wrong...
                      As long as you learn and Keep Moving Forward!

~Anthony

Comment

:;smack

I have a spare 10 gallon and heater Derrrp I'll just put him in there. I want to transfer his HOB over, but does the filter need to go through the treatment too? There's a sponge filter in the tank to keep the snails happy for the 4-5 days.

Comment

Best of luck! Hope you get rid of it easily.
                          Christine

Comment

Thanks Christine! Me too. My poor crypt is down to only a few leaves.

Comment

I think it is low nitrates in high tech or high lighting tanks that causes Cyano
                              Please check out:

Forum Rules

Information about Duplicate Posts

Warnings, Infractions and Bannings

Comment

Working...
                              X