Why do high light plants require CO2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do high light plants require CO2

Or more accurately, why do they need more than is naturally present under normal atmospheric conditions? I was mulling this over and though alot of the following is speculation on my part I was curious.

The amount of CO2 present in most natural bodies of water would tend to be similar taking into account the gasses prescense in the atmosphere should be striving towards equal distribution of the gasses. So I am assuming these high light plants aren't subjected to unnaturally high concentrations of Co2 where they naturally occur so why do they need it in an aquarium?

I realize it could be an issue of unnaturally dense planting in an aquarium but then I would theoretically be able to grow the most co2 demanding plants with no supplemental co2 in a stocked aquarium with one or two plants. Am I missing something?
    __________________________________________________ _____
    Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
    110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

The simple answer....the larger the body of water the more CO2 is trapped. Plus the fact that nature is constantly moving water hundreds or thousands of miles.

Our tanks are micro-environments by comparison!

So, while nature is in balance with atmospheric levels our limited water volume becomes a limiting factor. By adding CO2 plants can never consume all carbon.
    - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
    Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
    Socrates

Comment

Thanks for the reply Dena. If a bubbler going or surface agitation cause enough gas exchange to keep the O2 levels from ever being depleted by the fish, it stands to reason imo that a similar effect should keep the CO2 levels up no? For arguments sake say you had ALOT of bubblers.

Basically, its not that a certain ppm of co2 is desirable to the plants, its the rate of depletion that requires the supplementation as kind of a backup to depletion if I understand?
      __________________________________________________ _____
      Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
      110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Dena it seems you are quite the fish genius.
        When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the fire department usually use water.

Comment

Originally posted by Al :D View Post
          Dena it seems you are quite the fish genius.
          Hah, I would not say that.

Originally posted by Matt B View Post
          Thanks for the reply Dena. If a bubbler going or surface agitation cause enough gas exchange to keep the O2 levels from ever being depleted by the fish, it stands to reason imo that a similar effect should keep the CO2 levels up no? For arguments sake say you had ALOT of bubblers.

Basically, its not that a certain ppm of co2 is desirable to the plants, its the rate of depletion that requires the supplementation as kind of a backup to depletion if I understand?
          Surface disturbance will add oxygen to the water column while it also is releasing the CO2 build up. As you are already aware, everything will find that balance of equilibrium. If there is more oxygen in the air, surface disturbance will add oxygen to the water column. If there is a buildup of CO2 in the water column, surface disturbance will release CO2 into the air.

That is a good analogy. Plants need a constant supply of CO2 to grow. And in an aquarium, it will be depleted and lead to algae growth.
          - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
          Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
          Socrates

Comment

Working...
          X