Point me to a good system for my 60gal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Point me to a good system for my 60gal

So I am considering going for a system. But admit I know NOTHING about co2 systems or how to use them etc. So any advice on a good one that wont break the bank too much would be great!! Also, I know this is the co2 section but it applies to same thing. I am also thinking of going dirted in this tank. Is there any potting soil in particular that I should use/avoid?? I will also be adding the soil with fish IN the tank. Since there already in there. I may bucket them for a short time. But any guidance would be appreciated!! Thanks all!
    Don't tell me the sky is the limit, when there are foot prints on the moon!! (anon)

When I was researching about CO2 kits, someone actually a several people from my local fish club pointed out this system as a decent system. However with this system, you still need to get the canister and diffuser.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Deluxe-A...item4d049b7b3c

I opted to get the GLA CO2 Kit instead. This is the cheapest kit that comes almost with everything, you just need to get a diffuser.

http://greenleafaquariums.com/comple...o2-system.html

Or you can try to piecemeal your system together by finding good deals/sales on particular parts and building over the course of months. I would also check Craigslist for anyone wanting to get rid of their system.

Dirted Tank info:

I used the Organic Miracle Grow choice soil for my tanks. I would avoid any soil with fertilizer or perlite. If you want to stock immediately, I would suggest prepping the soil (mineralizing) before you start dirting.

http://visual.ly/how-mineralized-soil-substrate
    Last edited by NorthStar; 05-01-2013, 09:58 AM. Reason: added info
    Please check out:

Forum Rules

Information about Duplicate Posts

Warnings, Infractions and Bannings

Comment

Thanks North . I wonder if I can skip all the prep if I have the flourish subtrate already in the tank?? I dont think I want to put that much work into it yet. Hubby wont let me haha.
      Don't tell me the sky is the limit, when there are foot prints on the moon!! (anon)

Comment

I pieced my own system together rather than buying a kit. It's cheaper that way.

Comment

I have dirted tanks also. Just make sure it says "organic" on the potting soil package. I got mine at Lowe's. Can't remember the name but it was a bit cheaper than the Miracle Gro. Biggest thing is no chemical additives.
          __________________________________________________ __________
          Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

I was told to use garden soil as opposed to potting soil, as it doesn't contain the little white balls that absorb moisture. I used a knock-off brand as well, but of garden soil, in my shrimp tank and the plants all did very well.

Comment

Thanks all . zumi you just gave me an idea, I am going to set up a shrimp tank this week. I may just start one in there first and see how it goes.

Comment

You can go DIY too. That's the way I went. here's a link with some OK instructions.
                8 GloFish
                6 Glowlight Tetra
                1 Dwarf Gourami
                4 Mystery Snail

Comment

Working...
                X