CO2 levels

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CO2 levels

Just curious how you more advanced keepers of plants monitor CO2 levels? Do you bother or do you just observe and try to strike the right balance through trial and error?
    8 GloFish
    6 Glowlight Tetra
    1 Dwarf Gourami
    4 Mystery Snail

Re: CO2 levels

Are you talking about injected CO2? If so, I have absolutely zero experience in this.

I use liquid CO2 (Flourish Excel) and I just follow the direction on the bottle :-)

Comment

This is what is normally used in Asia.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Drop-Checker-Te ... 3a5ad7b341
      http://www.ebay.com/itm/UP-Aquarium-Con ... 255bfc2e8e
      -Jonathan

Comment

I haven't started injecting co2 yet but I may. I know I need to drastically increase the co2 in my tanks. I found some charts on another website that gives you a general idea based on KH and PH. based on those I've got about 2-3 ppm co2 which I know is way to low for my setup.
        8 GloFish
        6 Glowlight Tetra
        1 Dwarf Gourami
        4 Mystery Snail

Comment

Ignore those charts. They are bogus because they assume the ONLY buffer is carbonate. This simply isn't a true assumption. There are many compounds that help to buffer the water. If I followed that chart I have over 75 ppm in my tank!

When using gas (DIY or injected), you want to compare the natural pH of your tank water against the current pH.

Natural pH = Remove some tank water and let it sit for a few days...or aerate it for a day.

30 ppm CO2 will drop the pH 1 full degree. For example, if your natural pH is 7.2 your target level would be 6.2 pH.
          - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
          Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
          Socrates

Comment

Working...
          X