PPS vs EI

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question: PPS vs EI

I'm curious on what methods do people use for their Dry Fert regiment? PPS or EI? and why?

What method would you suggest for a person who is just delving into Dry fertilizer?

I have the following test kits:

API Master Test Kit
    Seachem Iron Test Kit
    API Phosphate Test Kit
    API GH/KH Test Kit

I dose EI on all of my tanks, with some variations based on light levels. Anyway, I chose it because it seemed like PPS and PPS-pro limited nutrients too much for the amount of light and plants, but I may have misunderstood the method. So, I am a bit biased, but I suggest EI based on the ease of dosing and changes that can be made to the amounts dosed. I started with the general guideline for the amounts to dose, and then modified it past that point based on the plant needs. Then again, I couldn't imagine what 50% water changes would be like on a large tank .

Comment

Originally posted by chevyguy8893 View Post
      Then again, I couldn't imagine what 50% water changes would be like on a large tank .
      Very long since I use the 3 gallon bucket method

Comment

Well for me....Dena is the one that got me started. I don't really do EI Dosing. Its my own modified version. lol It can change though, I will notice plants uptake is greater by testing Iron and I know a plant explosion isn't far behind, so adjustments are made. haha I just know what my plants need.

I am not familiar with the PPS but I think it wouldn't work on my tank.
        Christine

Comment

I agree, I started with kinda a randomness to it and just listened to the plants and the algae. Doing water treatment for work makes it a bit easier to tell what things are doing but on the whole you will find a method that works best for you. I would think that if your going with CO2 then the EI would work great, if not start out on a shallow version of the PPI and work your way up.
          -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
          If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
          Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
          Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

There are enough dosing plans to make your head spin!

What I recommend is to start with EI but dose half the recommend amounts. Then, over the next month run tests to adjust to hit target ranges. And when your tank stays in the target zone, you have your tank's dosing plan.

There are so many variables. Lighting. CO2 injection or not. Volume of plants. Plant growth. Algae growth. Amount of waste produced by inhabitants. Etcetera, etcetera. This is why blindly following a plan rarely works. You could overdose ferts and cause a negative impact to your fish.

Aim for the target zones and you will be very happy with the results.
            - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
            Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
            Socrates

Comment

^^^Has it right, I kinda overdosed some of my tanks and my invertibrate population plumitted and unfortunately I lost my shrimp population. The pond snails didnt bother me so much but the shrimp did.
              -Jim-

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

I'm getting dry ferts in this week too and have been pondering the same questions. I'm not the best at being meticulous, but my engineer husband ought to help me figure all of this out. He works at a nuclear plant and loves all of this technical stuff. I'm more of a random, throw a little bit of this and a little bit of that....kinda like how I cook.

Comment

Originally posted by amber0107 View Post
                  I'm getting dry ferts in this week too and have been pondering the same questions. I'm not the best at being meticulous, but my engineer husband ought to help me figure all of this out. He works at a nuclear plant and loves all of this technical stuff. I'm more of a random, throw a little bit of this and a little bit of that....kinda like how I cook.
                  I'm the same way..pinch of this and pinch of that...looks good. Hopefully it comes with a scooper.

Comment

You will need to provide your own measure. I went to the dollar store and purchased a cheap set of measuring spoons. Anyone with a tank smaller than 40G will need to also purchase a 1/16 if not a 1/32 teaspoon as well.

Once each of you get your ferts and are ready to start dosing, if you'd like my help, start a thread that we could use to track test results and post photos to monitor plant growth.
                    - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
                    Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
                    Socrates

Comment

I highly recomend starting a thread if nothing else than to track your own dosing and changes for it.

Also, you can make the dry fertz into a solution using RO or DI water (easily available at any drug store in gallon format) and make a solution that is easier to dose. I have at home a cheat sheet I used to make up solutions that were easy to measure out for small tanks. That way I didnt have to use such TINY spoons.
                      -Jim-

Comment

Working...
                      X