Dry Fertilizers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question: Dry Fertilizers

My shipment is coming in today. I also need to do a water change soon. My shipment for my phosphate and iron tests won't be here until Monday. Should I hold off on the water change until I get those in or just do my typical waterchange and add the new fertilizers?

Any recommendations?

I'd hold off personally. I don't think it is a good idea to add the new ferts without having test kits. Course I've never added dry ferts so I know very little about the topic lol.
    -Jonathan

Comment

This whole patience thing is SO hard for me....

Comment

Do the water change. You can either begin dosing at half strength or continue with your liquid ferts. Choice is yours.

If you decide to start the dry ferts, write down every test result you can run now....along with temperature. And take s picture.
        - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
        Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
        Socrates

Comment

I did a 50% water change. Here are the stats that I have so far.

Temp--76
          Nitrates--between 10-20 a light orange color
          Ph--7.2
          GH--3 drops (53.7 or 3-6 degrees)
          Kh--4 drops (71.6 or 3-6 degrees)

Iron test coming Monday as well as phosphate test.

Click image for larger version

Name:	035.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	137706

Dosed half doses of macros so that was 1/4 tsp KNO3, 1/16tsp of KH2PO4 and 1/16 of K2SO4. Praying I did that right. (47.5 gallon tank.)
          Last edited by amber0107; 03-07-2013, 05:05 PM.

Comment

If your nitrates are already in range, if the reading is before you dosed, then you don't need to add KNO3 as that will increase them more or you may only need to dose KNO3 1x week. I hardly dose any KNO3 in my tank as my fish provide enough nitrates. If I followed EI Dosing I would have crazy high nitrates and phosphates. And lacking Micros.
            Last edited by AlyeskaGirl; 03-07-2013, 09:00 PM.
            Christine

Comment

Very good point Christine.

Target ranges are:

NO3: 10 - 20 PPM
              PO4: 2 - 5 PPM, although many references will state as low as 0.5 PPM I have found I need higher levels to control GSA
              Fe: 0.1 - 0.2 PPM
              GH: 4+
              KH: 4+

K: monitored through leaf health. Deficiency will lead to pinholes
              Mg: monitored through iron uptake and plant health and GH levels
              Ca: monitored through plant health and GH levels

As Christine already pointed out, you have enough NO3 already. So, don't dose this component for now.
              - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

Ok, so I won't dose that next time if my levels are in that range.

Do I need to raise my gh a bit in this tank or just keep an eye on things for now?

Comment

For now just keep an eye on the GH. The dry ferts will be helping to add calcium and magnesium.
                  - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

Great. Thanks!

Comment

Anyone have experience treating oedogonium? I think that and BBA are my main problems right now.

I get my other tests in tomorrow. Can't wait to figure out my levels and kick this algae to the curb. I know it will take time and effort, but at least I'll have a plan.

Comment

Oedogonium is a form of string algae. Treated pretty must the same as staghorn. As algae is caused by an imbalance and you are waiting for your ferts, I'd cut the lights back to as little as 6 hours a day. With less light there is a reduced demand on ferts and CO2. Then, once you can begin the dry ferts, bump the lighting up to 8 hours.
                        - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

OK, I tested for phosphates and it reads around 5, but I can't get any reading for iron.

So far this week I dosed 1/4tsp nitrate, 1/16tsp phosphate and potassium on Thursday, Saturday and today and 1/16 tsp trace on the other days. Started at half doses as recommended. Am I doing this right? What do I need to do now?

Comment

Yes. You are on the right track. It's just the fun of rebalancing!

You've only mentioned the PO4 and iron tests. What are the other parameters? We need to know all levels to look at what needs adjusting.
                            - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

Temp--76
                              Nitrates--have risen to between 20-30
                              Ph--7.2
                              GH--3 drops (53.7 or 3-6 degrees)
                              Kh--4 drops (71.6 or 3-6 degrees)
                              Iron--not registering
                              Phosphate--5
                              TDS: 130 (probably doesn't matter but I tested everything I could.)

Comment

Working...
                              X