Flourish Excel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flourish Excel

I have been adding liquid fertilizer to my tanks. I have been using Flourish Comprehensive, Phosphorous & Nitrogen. My plants are looking a little better, but still have problems. And the algae is getting bad in the 150G tank. So I want to start using Excel and some of their other products. I downloaded their aquarium dosing chart, then went to Amazon and ordered Excel, Iron, Trace and Potassium to go with what I have.

Here is my dilemma: The initial dose of Excel for the 150G tank is 75ml the first day, then 15ml per day after that with a day of rest after 6 days. After reading about APs problems with the Excel I am reluctant to add that much at once. Do you think there will be a problem?
    __________________________________________________ __________
    Lori

30G, 5G

I think Excel wasn't the cause of my downfall, perhaps in the lives of my Bamboo shrimps..You can also half dose with Excel initially and work your way up.

If I were you, I would cancel those orders of Flourish Bottles except Flourish Excel and get into Dry Ferts, definitely cheaper in the long run.

Comment

I am taking baby steps . I am comfortable with the liquids right now. Reading your posts and others about using the dry ferts with all those measurements and all those chemically looking numbers scares me. I am so afraid I am going to melt my fish.
      Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

You could always do a dry run with a tank with plants only... Til your more comfortable with it... Just my thoughts on it...
        2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
        2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
        1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
        40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
        "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

But that would require getting another tank.....so it's a good thing, right ?
          Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Nothing big... maybe 5-10g... but if you really want to do it right try to match the size of the tank you dose ferts ;D
            2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
            "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

Yeah, right. If I told my husband I was bringing another 150G tank into the house right now, I'd end up as a blurb on the 11 o'clock news .
              Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Bahaha he is male... if you get it now and set it up while he is working/asleep he won't notice for at least a month lol
                2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

No, unfortunately I got one of the observant ones and he notices everything. So I will settle for a 20 or 30 gallon and go from there. That is an excellent idea - starting with a fishless tank first and then advancing as I get more comfortable with it.
                  Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

When I first started with Flourish Excel I would only do half dosages initially and eventually work my way up after water changes..

Regarding Dry Ferts, it is alot easier to dose bigger tanks then smaller tank. Your 150g would benefit . You can also do half dosages as well and work your way up. I did the switched to dry ferts because it was cheaper for dosing 105g tank and Flourish Nitrogen wasn't really effective. It was like water in a bottle.

If you follow my EI Journey, you can see that I am working my way up and haven't seen any negative impacts on my fish...knock on wood.

Comment

I think I am still going to start with the liquids. And while I am using them up I am going to keep close tabs on your thread and do a lot of researching Then maybe when it is time for refills I will go with the dry ones next time around. But, when you are ready to switch to dry ferts, we can help get you started down the right path.
                      Last edited by catsma_97504; 03-20-2013, 09:50 PM.
                      Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Any liquid fertilizer is mostly liquid. As CJ mentioned the Nitrogen is very low and it takes far more product that advertised.
                        - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
                        Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
                        Socrates

Comment

Working...
                        X