SeaChem Iron Test Kit Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SeaChem Iron Test Kit Question

When I test for Iron using the SeaChem Iron Test Kit....the water usually turns a tinge yellow and that is it. I have never been getting purple waiting the 3-5 minutes.

I accidentally left it on the counter and came back an hour later and the water turned purple...probably .4. However, the .4 is for Chelated Iron. Does that count for Iron?

Yes, I believe it does. I get a reading for chelated iron, but not for the initial test, if that makes any sense.

Comment

I think you divide the result by 4 if it sat for 45 minutes, not positive though, I'll reread the instructions.
      __________________________________________________ _____
      Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
      110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

The Seachem test kit has the ability to measure free and chelated iron, based on the amount of time allowed. Free iron is measured in the first 5 minutes; chelated in 45 minutes.

If there is no free iron then the plants are sucking it up quickly. As plants can also break down chelated iron easily, I would leave things as is for now. Once the hungry plants get their fill, they will slow down on the iron consumption. And, you'll have to be careful to not have an excessive amount as that will cause an algae bloom.
        - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
        Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
        Socrates

Comment

According to the EI guidelines and the target ranges .

CO2 range 25-30 ppm
          NO3 range 5-30 ppm
          K+ range 10-30 ppm
          PO4 range 1.0-2.0 ppm
          Fe 0.2-0.5ppm or higher
          GH range 3-5 degrees ~ 50ppm or higher
          KH range 3-5

Is the Iron ideal range for Free Iron? or chelated Iron?
          Please check out:

Forum Rules

Information about Duplicate Posts

Warnings, Infractions and Bannings

Comment

To be honest NorthStar, I am not sure if it matters. Free iron is consumed first by plants. And once it is gone they will break down the chelated form of iron. Both are easily consumed by plants.

Any tank that has no free iron will most likely have plants that act like iron sponges. There will come a time where the iron uptake will slow down and free iron may become measurable.

This is exactly how it is with my tank. At first I could not get measurable free iron. I have a couple of very large anubias plants along with many crypts and swords. All are known iron hogs.
            - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
            Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
            Socrates

Comment

Working...
            X