Switching to dry ferts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switching to dry ferts

Well after reading all the talk about dry ferts lately, I decided it would probably benefit me to switch over as well.

I'm gonna start out by saying that I know absolutely nothing about dry ferts. I'm gonna need step by step directions! I have been reading over the material here on the site and I believe I understand some things about them. I'm just gonna start by giving the basic info of my tank.

75g Heavily Planted
    pH: 7.6
    Temp: 78f
    Lighting: Dual 54w T5HO
    Lighting period: 8 hours a day
    Current dosing: About 8mL flourish comprehensive once a week
    20mL flourish excel every other day.
    I also need to order some more root tabs as mine have been gone for a while now.

Plants include:
    Amazon swords (leaves turning transparent on some)
    Najas
    Java fern
    Dwarf sag
    Pygmy chain sword
    ludwigia glandulosa
    Baby tears
    Hair grass (dwarf and giant)
    Dwarf Clover
    Green Cabamba
    Purple Cabamba
    Red Tiger Lotus
    Rotala macrandra
    Crypt walkeri
    Crypt Wendtii
    Rotala indica
    Hygrophila corymbosa

Onto the questions

1. What kind of ferts do I need to order?j
    2. Where can I get them?
    3. How often do dry ferts need to be dosed?
    4. What kind of test kits do I need to get? I have an API master test kit at the moment.
    5. Do I NEED injected CO2 with dry ferts? I do plan on getting one eventually but not for at least a couple months.

Where do I go from here? I'm really excited to see if I can get my plants to grow a little faster and healthier.

Thanks in advance for any help!

1. Go to Green Leaf Aquariums and order their starter pack. It contains the 4 basic compounds. That $20 pack will last about a year.

2. Consider DIY or injected. You can use Excel but the cost will be prohibitive.

3. You will need GH, KH, PO4 and Iron test kits. These kits with your Master kit will allow you to balance the ferts for your tank.

4. When you change take weekly pictures. This is the best way to monitor growth.

As for dosing, a typical week is 5 days ferts, a day of rest and a water change with ferts. All in all 6 days of ferts and a Sabbath.
    - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
    Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
    Socrates

Comment

Okay, I'm going to order the starter package this weekend.

I've done DIY before, but never on this tank. How many bottles would it take? One I save up the money for injected, I'll definitely be getting one. I'm still debating whether I want to get a tank and stuff or if I want to just get one of those paintball regulators since I have like a dozen paintball tanks that I can fill up.

What's the best brands to look for when buying the test kits?

I just did a rescape with pictures tonight, so I'm definitely going to start taking pics with every water change. Hmmm... I read in your article that you can mix the ferts with water and dose them that way. Would that mean something like finding out what works good in your tank, then mixing it with a set amount of water (say 100mL of water, I want to dose 10mL per day, so I would add enough ferts for 10 days, correct?) then I would just measure out 10mL per day and dose like flourish.

Thanks for the info Dena! I'm really excited about this!

Comment

lol Go with what she says, she put me on the right path and as soon as I have some time again I will get back onto said path. It really is that easy to keep your tanks with the dry fertz.
        -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
        If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
        Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
        Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

Okay, I got GH and KH test kits today.

Current readings:
          KH: 5
          GH: 7

Is that.... good? Bad?

I'm about to order the ferts. Is there anything else other than the starter package I should get?
          Last edited by AlyeskaGirl; 08-31-2013, 06:14 PM. Reason: Merged posts; housekeeping

Comment

Measuring spoons, but not necessary from GLA.
            Please check out:

Forum Rules

Information about Duplicate Posts

Warnings, Infractions and Bannings

Comment

If your dosing dry directly into the tank then yeah def gonna need some SMALL measuring spoons. I personally used distilled water and converted the dry powder to liquid so that it was easier for me to dose the smaller tanks. all you have to do is to figure out your mixing rations.

An easy one to use is to mix 1 Tablespoon of powder with 250ml of water. If you keep that ration your dosing becomes 1/4 teaspoon is equal to 20ml of that solution. Sorry that its all in ml lol but I have a bunch of lab grade equipment so I work in those numbers.
              -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
              If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
              Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
              Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

I do not mix because my tank is large enough that the smallest measure is 1/8 tsp.

BUT, if I did, I would add a week's amount of ferts into appropriate bottles. Add an amount of water to make it easy to dose. For example, say I have a macro and a micro bottle. And I add 30 ml to each. As each is dosed 3 times a week, a single dose would be 10 ml. Easy peasy.
                - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

Thanks guys! I just placed my order.

Now I'm gonna search around for some 2 liter bottles and rig up a DIY co2 system. How many bottles do you guys think I will need to hook up? 3 or 4? Also, I've always had problems with diffusers. How do those DIY co2 reactors work? Basically you cut the too off of a small bottle, put a wad if cotton or something in the end the airline, then let it dispense into the upside down cup in the tank. Does this let more co2 get into the water?

Comment

I wouldn't do DIY for a 75 gallon tank. You'll need way too many bottles. I think I've heard 40 gallons is the cutoff for feasibility, but I don't exactly remember. I pieced together my system (rather than buying a kit) and it was about $230 or so. I got everything on Amazon.

Comment

The reactors are designed to trap the CO2 gas so that it has more time to be dissolved into the water column instead of escaping the tank. I added a wad off cotton to the tubes in the tank. That was all I needed. The super fine bubbles would be mostly absorbed, so it wasn't a concern to escape.

As for the number of bottles, I start with 4, but you may need more. I used 8 on a 90G tank. With 4 bottles you could refresh the yeast mix in 2 each week. This way the other set of bottles would be at full production. I used a permanent marker to write numbers on the bottles. With 4 bottles, I'd write 1A, 1B, 2A and 2B. Then you can't confused them.

75G is a max of what most will recommend for DIY, but will diligence it can be done. The guy I learned how to manage a planted tank from used a 5 gallon bucket for his CO2 generator because he ran it on very large tanks! Where there's a will there's a way.
                      Last edited by catsma_97504; 03-28-2013, 11:10 PM. Reason: Added more info
                      - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

Okay, I made a set up last night and siliconed it so it would dry of night. It's 4 bottles all connected together and then the last one has an out flow tube to the tank.

If I'm gonna change them every week, should I only add mix to two of them for the first week? Or should I just add to them all and then just change 2 in a week?

Wow, a 5 gallon bucket? That's crazy! I can't imagine how much sugar and yeast he went through.

Originally posted by kinezumi89 View Post
                        I wouldn't do DIY for a 75 gallon tank. You'll need way too many bottles. I think I've heard 40 gallons is the cutoff for feasibility, but I don't exactly remember. I pieced together my system (rather than buying a kit) and it was about $230 or so. I got everything on Amazon.
                        It's only temporary. Once my summer jobs start up (next week) I will start saving up money for a pressurized system. It should only take a couple weeks.
                        Last edited by dlondon95; 03-29-2013, 05:40 AM.

Comment

How about that, I thought that maximum was way less. Maybe I should have done DIY for my 55 gallon, it would have been a lot cheaper Using something other than 2L bottles of course makes that easier, I should have thought of a 5 gallon bucket!

Comment

Well I got the co2 system all set up today. I filled all 4 bottles with mix. I went to get a makeup remover pad from the closet to use as a diffuser and we were all out so I tried using a Q-tip. Well, I'm glad I tried it cause it produces some of the smallest bubbles I've ever seen!

I, being my usually impatient self, forgot to put a bubble counter on the thing. I guess ill have to do that when I renew the mix.

Funny thing, I was talking to my mom about getting a pressurized system and when I said about buying a regulator, she said she just budgeted for one at work today. I said we'll mine costs about two hundred and asked how much hers did. She said eight. I was shocked that one would cost eight hundred dollars, then the strategy laughing and said not eight hundred, eight THOUSAND. That thing better be make out of solid diamond!

I got my ferts today!

When and how much should I start dosing?
                            Last edited by AlyeskaGirl; 08-31-2013, 06:15 PM. Reason: Merged posts; housekeeping

Comment

What size tank again? What are your current parameters? When is your next water change day?

Sorry for all the questions. I barely can keep track of my own tank...lol
                              - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

Working...
                              X