Macros and micros dosed together

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Macros and micros dosed together

Yesterday Phoshates where still at one and no measurable iron. Added full dose of both macro's and micro's this morning. I'm thinking my plants were iron deficient and are sucking it all up?
    __________________________________________________ _____
    Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
    110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

FYI, you do not want to dose both macros and micros at the same time. The compounds bind together and become unusable to the plants. One such compound it Ferrous Phosphate. This compound is not only making both iron and phosphate unavailable to plants, but it is also a dangerous one because it is an acidic salt that is used in slug bate products sold for the outdoor garden.

To avoid this from occurring, always dose macros and micros at different times. If I get in a bind and need to dose both on the same day I would dose macros in the morning and micros in the evening.

Glad you tank is doing so well.
    - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
    Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
    Socrates

Comment

Thanks Dena, I was following the manufacturers instructions that dosing both in solution at the same time at opposite ends is okay, I have to get them in before lights on so It'll be interesting getting them separated by a couple hours!

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Dena- I haven't seen any cloudiness which I understand would accompany the compounds precipitating out of solution, I could of course be wrong. Am I way off on this?

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

It depends on what is binding. As iron is in minute quantities not sure that chemical reaction would be visible. Honestly, I have always heard to never dose both at the same time and never with the caveat that it was fine to use different ends of the tank.

Not saying I am not wrong. Its just that I would do some research to see if others make this claim. Try asking on TPT. They are the plant gurus I go to.
          - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
          Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
          Socrates

Comment

Good idea, thanks for the input

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

I know you are not to add KH2PO4 and Fe and will bind and cause some cloudiness. That is why they usually say not to dose Macro and Micros on the same day.

In a mixing bottle you can see the chemical reaction of two binding together (cloudiness) due to the low volume of water, but in a fish tank I don't you can see the reaction, but it still happens.
              Please check out:

Forum Rules

Information about Duplicate Posts

Warnings, Infractions and Bannings

Comment

All the info I've researched says its not a problem, mainly due to the large volume of water in relation to the amount of nutrient added. Of course mixing and storing them together is not a good idea but separating the applications by a very short period seems to work fine. Gleaned most of it on TPT.

I emailed Greenleaf about it to see what they say re: why I still don't have readable iron, pretty big coincidence.

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Greenleaf email and reply:

Hi Matt,

PPS is a low dosing system. Couple that with today's iron test kits and you will not see a measurable iron. Off the shelf iron kits are pretty useless to say the least. I would not worry though, you can always increase any value as none of them are set in stone. Because the doses are so low you will have no trouble dosing both at the same time.

Regards,
                  Orlando

On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 12:09 PM, Matt wrote:
                  Good morning,

I recently purchased my dry fert starter kit and am going the pps dosing route. All previous knowledge of mine says to not dose both macros and micros on the same day, opposite ends of the tank or not, due to the nutrients reacting and precipitating out of solution. The fact that I've been dosing near a week and still have no measurable iron lends itself to the possibility of the nutrients binding/interacting.

I would appreciate any explanation as to why it is okay to dose both in this case or is it interacting like I think it is and my iron isn't getting used.

Thank you for your time

Matt
                  Last edited by Matt B; 03-25-2013, 01:26 PM.

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Thanks Matt. This clears a lot for me. I wonder if moving a couple of postings from this thread over to fertilizer section would help others.
                    Please check out:

Forum Rules

Information about Duplicate Posts

Warnings, Infractions and Bannings

Comment

No problem I would think its in the companies best interest for consumers to get good results using their products/advice so I hope it is accurate!

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Working...
                      X