No announcement yet.

EI vs PPS - pros and cons?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think you make a bottle for each bag. If you measure the water and powder right you can make a specific concentration. I'm used to dosing teaspoons though, so I'm not sure how to deal with the new dosing.

Comment

http://blog.greenleafaquariums.com/2...just-mix-dose/ These are the instructions that come with the PPS pro pack that comes with two 500ml bottles. One for micros and one for macros. Mix with distilled or RO water, sit over night and then just dose both daily.
      ~Erin
      10g, 20g, 29g, 55g

Comment

I am too lazy for all that...lol. I measure and drop in dry. Let it dissolve in the tank and let the water current spread it throughout the tank.

But, if I were to mix up liquids. I would determine how much of each powder was needed for a single week. Drop into the bottle; and then add enough water to know how much to dose. As each micro/macro combo is dosed 3 times a week, I would probably mix it in 30 ml of water. Then it's as simple as dosing 10 ml each day. At the end of the week the solutions should be empty.
        - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
        Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
        Socrates

Comment

Hmmm I don't have RO water. Maybe tapwater and Prime? I do like your idea, Dena, about mixing the right about for the week, that's pretty clever. I never just drop it in because I'm always afraid it'll sink into the gravel and stay there rather than get swirled around. I probably go overkill with mixing it in, but oh well, we're all OCD about something

Comment

Originally posted by kinezumi89 View Post
            Hmmm I don't have RO water. Maybe tapwater and Prime? I do like your idea, Dena, about mixing the right about for the week, that's pretty clever. I never just drop it in because I'm always afraid it'll sink into the gravel and stay there rather than get swirled around. I probably go overkill with mixing it in, but oh well, we're all OCD about something
            I usually mix the ferts in a cup of tank water before dumping. I get paranoid thinking my fish will eat the powder ferts before it dissolves.
            Please check out:

Forum Rules

Information about Duplicate Posts

Warnings, Infractions and Bannings

Comment

Purchase a gallon of distilled water then. It's cheap.

When I first started with dry ferts, I too was mixing them with a bit of tank water and then pouring into the tank. But I read that many just dumped them in. So, in need of saving time I started to do the same thing. If you have enough water current you don't have to worry about the ferts. The tank will disperse it all on its own.

I agree that we are OCD about something; and some more than others. If you need to mix to feel safe with dosing ferts, by all means do so. Every one of us need to work within our own comfort levels.
              - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
              Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
              Socrates

Comment

I use our drinking water we get from out local "Alhambra" type company, it is RO. I would think you'd be able to get a jug of De-Ionized or reverse osmosis water at a grocery store or something.

I mix them in the fert bottles and dose like Rae said. So far it looks like each batch will last about 3-4 months.
                __________________________________________________ _____
                Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
                110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Mine try to even when I do mix it

Edit: I need to notice when there are more pages That's in regards to NS's comment.

Is there really an advantage to RO over tap water?
                  Last edited by kinezumi89; 04-12-2013, 06:11 PM.

Comment

With the RO water you are starting with a blank slate, just water. With tap I'd think there would be alot of other components that could come into play, minerals, chemicals and such.

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Hmm I see. Though with so many people not even mixing the powder in at all, seems like it may be unnecessary work

Comment

I guess I could see how you could somehow extrapolate to that conclusion, measuring dry powders everyday (or several times a week) seems like a hugely massive undertaking compared to buying a jug of water for 50 cents.

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

I sense sarcasm in your response I'd have to buy bottles too, you know

Comment

Working...
                          X