Experimenting with SeaChem Iron Test

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experimenting with SeaChem Iron Test

Reading the threads about Iron testing and how some people are not usually getting Iron reading. I think I might experiment.

I have a free 3, 3.5, 10 gallon tanks. I was wondering if I filled the tank (not sure which one yet) with treated water and then put a scoop of CSM +B and wait 24 hours to test the water to see if I will get any Iron reading.

The reason for the experiment, I'm not sure if my plants are consuming the Iron the instant I'm dosing or the Iron content in the CSM +B isn't enough or user testing error.

My question:

1. What tank should I use for the experiment? 3g, 3.5g and 10g?

2. What should the dosage be for CSM +B? 1/4 tsp, 1/2 tsp, 1 tsp?
    Please check out:

Forum Rules

Information about Duplicate Posts

Warnings, Infractions and Bannings

I like your idea NS. I would think for ease of dosing the 10g.

To customize the experiment for your tank I would divide the dosage you give your big tank so you have proportionally equal dosages and then test. Imo that should do pretty well as an analog. If it doesn't read anything I would think more CSM may be the answer.
    __________________________________________________ _____
    Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
    110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

I agree I would use the 10 as it is the easiest to do the math for. Cant wait to see the results, and remember to be a true scientific experiment it has to be repeatable so take some really good notes durring the test and repeat it to ensure accuracy.
      -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
      If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
      Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
      Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

In addition to running the experiment, I would also run tests against the 1 PPM solution shipped with the test kit. That would help to rule out human error; and would let you know that the test is being run correctly.
        - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
        Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
        Socrates

Comment

Very good point, gotta have a standard.
          -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
          If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
          Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
          Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

This has become more complicated
            Please check out:

Forum Rules

Comment

I treated the 10 gallon tank with prime, inserted a bubbler, and a heater set for 78 degrees.

After 24 hours, I dose with a 1 tsp of CSM +B, waiting for another 24 hours to test.

Result: Did get a reaction, slight purple but wasn't measurable, waited for another 45 minutes and got a .7 Iron chelate
              Please check out:

Forum Rules

Comment

Thanks for this NS, it appears you have iron hungry plants then. My tank is heavy with water column feeders so I bet something similar is happening with mine.

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Is there a general way to determine which plants take up the most iron? I've always assumed it's red plants, but do stem plants need a lot of iron? I've been dosing 1/8th tap every other day, since I don't really have any red plants anymore (ludwigia is down to two stems).

Comment

I don't know Zumi, I do have alot of C Furcata in my tank which is red, so that would make some sense.

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Originally posted by kinezumi89 View Post
                      Is there a general way to determine which plants take up the most iron? I've always assumed it's red plants, but do stem plants need a lot of iron? I've been dosing 1/8th tap every other day, since I don't really have any red plants anymore (ludwigia is down to two stems).
                      I do know that "red" coloring plants love iron and so do Anubias plants. Other then that, I don't know if there is a general way to determine which plants take up the most iron.
                      Please check out:

Forum Rules

Comment

Ooh I do have three anubias plants, including two big coffeefolias. Maybe I should still be dosing 1/4 tsp.

Comment

Working...
                        X