Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excel

Hello

I am half way through my water change and the algae is getting rather annoying in my big tank despite my army of snails and I was wondering if dosing with excel will work?

Do I need to spot dose or can I just add it to the water as directed on the bottle?

Should I start with a half dose or would a full dose be ok to start?

I am thinking of using it purely to get rid of the algae as plant growth is pretty good so all suggestions are welcome and advise of course.

Now to lug more buckets of fresh water for my babies Herschel is not amused he keeps trying to get me through the glass lol
    Never underestimate the power of a smile

I don't understand how one spot doses liquid in liquid... wouldn't it just float way? Not trying to derail your thread first post but i never understood how it worked :/
    2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
    2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
    1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
    40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
    "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

It's relevant Sean neither do I

Comment

okay good we shall learn together i guess xD
        2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
        2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
        1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
        40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
        "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

I've just added 5.5 capfuls which is equivalent to 55 gallons so not quite the full first dose so I will see how it is tomorrow
          I'm
          Always cautious when I am using something for the first time on the big tank I've added extra fish protector and some vitachem too as there dinner is late because of the water change they are getting a little tantrummy I'm getting quicker at water changes though this one only took 1.5 hours

Comment

There are a few ways to manage the carbon levels in a tank and control algae.

1. Spot dosing Excel is done with no water current. Therefore, all equipment needs to be temporarily turned off. Dose the appropriate amount and wait 30 minutes to give the concentrated dose time to work on the plants in the area dosed. After half an hour, restart the water current to spread product around the entire tank.

2. The reason for dosing at half strength initially is when there are susceptible plants or inhabitants. Crypts and Vals are the most common plants that will melt with Excel dosing.

3. Other options include dosing hydrogen peroxide, 2 ml per gallon. Spot treat the same way as indicated above. After 24 hours the peroxide will break down into hydrogen gas and water; the gas will be released through surface disturbance. Do not overdose as too much peroxide can have a negative affect on the BB.

4. When algae really gets out of control, remove the plants and give them a bleach or strong peroxide bath; and return plants to tank after rinsing in dechlorinated water. And, then focus on balancing the tank so algae is under control.
            - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
            Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
            Socrates

Comment

Thank you Dena I will turn off the filter tomorrow when I dose again it's mainly the algae on my anubias that is annoying me I was hoping bazz and inga the nerites would take care of it for me but I rarely see them now they are in the big tank too many hiding places

Comment

Working...
              X