Nitrate Suggestions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nitrate Suggestions

So I've been battling various forms of algae in my tank and I'm trying to get the right balance of ferts. I've been dosing Potassium, Phosphorus, Flourish, and using root tabs. I haven't checked my Nitrates in quite some time because they had always been on the higher side and now my tank is probably just a tad over stocked. Well since I'm pretty sure my other nutrients are right where they should be I decided to go ahead and test Nitrates and I'm just barely above zero! I think I might have to start dosing nitrogen for my planted tank. Any suggestions on a product? I'm already using the seachem flourish line so maybe I should just stick with that. Does anyone else have to supplement nitrogen? What are your experiences?
    8 GloFish
    6 Glowlight Tetra
    1 Dwarf Gourami
    4 Mystery Snail

As you are already using the Flourish product line I recommend using their Nitrogen component.

Another option is to switch to dry ferts. The cost savings alone is tremendous if you are dosing a 55G or larger tank.
    - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
    Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
    Socrates

Comment

I was using the Flourish Nitrogen in my tank before I switched to the dry ferts and my nitrates were usually around 10. With the dry ferts, first dose and they went to 20 so I'm gonna be doing a little tweaking.
      __________________________________________________ __________
      Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

It's only a 29 gallon, but I'm also dosing a 10 gallon tank as well. Do you think the cost savings would still make sense? I'm certainly going to finish up the $30 or $40 in liquid ferts I have but maybe when it's time to re-up I'll switch over.
        8 GloFish
        6 Glowlight Tetra
        1 Dwarf Gourami
        4 Mystery Snail

Comment

I have only just started, but it cost me $20 for the starter pack of dry ferts from Green Leaf Aquariums and it is going to last a looong time. With the Flourish products, I was spending more than that every month. I am still using the Excel, but that's only until I can save up enough to do the CO2.

Edited to add: I am also using it in a 150G tank so that would account for the amount of stuff I was using.
          __________________________________________________ __________
          Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Working...
          X