Re-ordering Dry Ferts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-ordering Dry Ferts

Since my CSM + B is running low (I'm the type of person who has his fuel tank at 3/4 full all the time) I am going to re-order some and thought about looking into other dry ferts such as:

Calcium Sulfate
    Magnesium Sulfate
    Manganese Sulfate

What are your thoughts?
    Please check out:

Forum Rules

Information about Duplicate Posts

Warnings, Infractions and Bannings

This will sound stupid but why do they all have sulfate in their names? Why not just calcium or magnesium? I'm not very science-y sorry.
    2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
    2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
    1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
    40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
    "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

All the listed compounds include sulfate to neutralize their properties if I'm not mistaken

Comment

Okay then another question... Why would you want to neutralize their properties if your buying them to use for those properties....
        2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
        "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

Originally posted by NorthStar View Post
          Since my CSM + B is running low (I'm the type of person who has his fuel tank at 3/4 full all the time) I am going to re-order some and thought about looking into other dry ferts such as:

Calcium Sulfate
          Magnesium Sulfate
          Manganese Sulfate

What are your thoughts?
          Those would all be for bringing up the GH if it is very low from your water. Both Seachem Equilibrium and GH booster have those compounds, and it doesn't take much of a dose to last a while. Buying them individually would give you more control over the amounts dosed if one element is not used as much as another by the plants.

Originally posted by Sean View Post
          This will sound stupid but why do they all have sulfate in their names? Why not just calcium or magnesium? I'm not very science-y sorry.
          Both pure calcium and magnesium are reactive with water and oxygen (calcium being more reactive), so the pure forms have to be stored in some sort of oil to keep them from reacting in storage. Both being in a compound makes them safe to use and in a form that is easy to dose. Both calcium and sodium are some of my favorite, rather violent, reactions in water, but sodium is better since it tends to have a mini explosion at the end .

Comment

Originally posted by chevyguy8893 View Post
            Those would all be for bringing up the GH if it is very low from your water. Both Seachem Equilibrium and GH booster have those compounds, and it doesn't take much of a dose to last a while. Buying them individually would give you more control over the amounts dosed if one element is not used as much as another by the plants.

Both pure calcium and magnesium are reactive with water and oxygen (calcium being more reactive), so the pure forms have to be stored in some sort of oil to keep them from reacting in storage. Both being in a compound makes them safe to use and in a form that is easy to dose. Both calcium and sodium are some of my favorite, rather violent, reactions in water, but sodium is better since it tends to have a mini explosion at the end .
            Watching sodium react with water is awesome!

Comment

Hmmm I've never seen it apparently lol...
              2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

You took the wrong chemistry classes then

Comment

I had to many science credits.so I didn't have to take chem...
                  2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

Originally posted by Sean View Post
                    Hmmm I've never seen it apparently lol...
                    The Lake Lenore sodium disposal video on youtube is a good place to start . Thermite is another neat reaction lol.

I'll stop derailing now .

Comment

Originally posted by NorthStar View Post

Calcium Sulfate
                      Magnesium Sulfate
                      Manganese Sulfate

What are your thoughts?
                      The calcium and magnesium products are only necessary if you have hardness issues and the pH begins to bounce about. Most planted tanks do not need these products. But if you did, CaSO4 is nothing more than powdered gypsum. You could probably find it in your local garden center. Just make sure it does not contain additives that would be harmful to your tank. Another option to add calcium is Baking Soda. If use wisely it can be dealt with.

Instead of MgSO4, purchase Epsom Salt (MgSO42O) as it is hydrated magnesium sulphate.

Honestly I have never heard of anyone needing to add manganese to a freshwater planted aquarium.
                      - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
                      Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
                      Socrates

Comment

If I am thinking correctly, the sulfates listed shouldn't have any affect on the carbonate hardness and pH. I agree, manganese shouldn't be needed since it is added by the plantex csm+b, but it may be needed with a good amount of fast growing plants in some cases. That being said, I don't think I have ever encountered a manganese deficiency, and, knowing how important it is, I don't want to lol.

Comment

Not the sulphate, but the minerals calcium and magnesium are why they are dosed. Same as using K2SO4 to raise potassium.

I've used limestone and Baking Powder for Calcium; and Epsom Salt for magnesium, when needed in my tank
                          - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
                          Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
                          Socrates

Comment

Working...
                          X