Fert/CO2 dosing schedule

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fert/CO2 dosing schedule

I am great at following a dosing schedule but summer is around the corner and so is vacation. What do you all do when you go away for two weeks or longer? I can ask a friend to stop by every couple of days to feed my fish, but I dont' want to burden anyone coming everyday to dose ferts in my tank.

Do you turn off your CO2? Do you ask to dose all ferts in one day for the entire week? I'm a bit scared to come back to find an Algae infested tank.
    Please check out:

Forum Rules

Information about Duplicate Posts

Warnings, Infractions and Bannings

Dunno if this'll help, but I pre-measure my ferts into baby food jars for the week. maybe if you have someone coming to care for the fish, leave the jars near by with the may of dose on it. (I dose every other day though...)

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

I'm going to be gone for a week soon, so I'm curious as well. I think I'd rather reduce my photo period and find some underachieving plants than find my BBA back with a vengence. I'll have to buy timers for my other tanks too. I've never used one of those timed feeders before but would those work for dosing ferts?

Comment

Originally posted by amber0107 View Post
        I'm going to be gone for a week soon, so I'm curious as well. I think I'd rather reduce my photo period and find some underachieving plants than find my BBA back with a vengence. I'll have to buy timers for my other tanks too. I've never used one of those timed feeders before but would those work for dosing ferts?
        I never even thought about those automatic timers for dosing. I'm curious as well if that would work.
        Please check out:

Forum Rules

Information about Duplicate Posts

Warnings, Infractions and Bannings

Comment

They crossed my mind but I wasnt sure how accurate they were. Flakes/pellets vs crystals/powder. and the ones I've seen were the circular uh... Turning dispensers type ones so measuring out would be odd? Granted I didn't get too deep in looking into them. course, if they are helpful then that'd make life easier!

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Last fall while I was on vacation for 2 weeks, I had someone staying at my house. My old dog needs meds morning and night, so it wasn't an option to not do this.

Had I not been required to have someone staying in my house, I would simply turn off the lights and not worry about ferts, CO2 or feeding.
            - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
            Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
            Socrates

Comment

If you are comfortable with doing some DIY work, an auto dosing setup could be worthwhile to put together for the micros and macros. I believe adding excel to the solution helps keep it free of unwanted mold and algae. I think there is also an automatic fish food dispenser that has an airline hookup to keep it free of moisture, otherwise you end up with clumpy dry ferts and inconsistent dosing. Can't seem to find that one right now, but here is a link to a cheaper DIY auto dosing setup that may work.

http://gwapa.org/articles/autodoser/

As for the CO2, if you do not have a dual stage regulator, make sure it is still fairly full. Single stage regulators can raise the output pressure as the tank pressure runs low, which could gas the fish.

Comment

Working...
              X