Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zumi's 55 gallon fert blog

Hello everyone

As the title states, here is where I will keep track of my water tests and fertilizer doses so as to hopefully make my plants super happy.

Here is some info about my tank:

55 gallons, ~78-80F
    Aquatop cf-400UV canister
    2x 54W T5HOs, on for 6 hours daily
    Injected CO2
    Fish: 6 baby angels, 8 neons, 7 rainbows, 4 platies, 2 GBRs, 1 BN pleco, assassins
    Lots of plants!

I just did a ~60% water change; the last one was about 50% a week ago, and the one before that was a little late, but I think at this point my tank is right around equilibrium. I'll put a picture up once the bubbles come off the walls, will probably be tomorrow. I just did some minor gardening and I think it's looking pretty nice

Here are my results for today, after the water change and after the water had time to thoroughly mix:

5-8-13
    Ammonia - 0ppm
    Nitrite - N/A (didn't test, usually don't, I've never once had a positive nitrite reading, even after cycling a half dozen tanks)
    Nitrate - ~2.5ppm (less than 5ppm)
    pH - 7.0
    Phosphate - ~4ppm (less than 5ppm
    KH - 7
    GH - 10
    Regular iron - 0
    Chelated iron - 0

I normally do nitrate, phosphate, and sulfate on one day, and micros on the other day. So far today I have dosed 1/2 tsp nitrate and 1/4 tsp sulfate; no phosphate since it's still plenty high. After 1/4 tsp, the nitrate was at about 5ppm. I just dosed the second 1/4 tsp so I don't know what the final reading is. I'll test tomorrow.

Questions:
    1. What are the symptoms of sulfate deficiency? Is there a test? Should I be adding more, less, and how do I tell?
    2. Since my iron is undetectable, how much should I be adding? I normally add 1/4 tsp every other day, though I have forgotten the last couple days :;smack I guess this goes to show me that I shouldn't do that!
    3. Are my KH and GH okay? The pamphlet that comes with the test has certain ranges for certain fish, but it says my water is too hard for live plants, so I'm not sure I agree with their suggestions.

Check back from time to time, as I will surely have plenty of questions Thanks for your advice!
    Last edited by kinezumi89; 05-08-2013, 10:01 PM.

Dosed 1/2 tsp CSM+B today. I'll do an iron test tomorrow.

I'm just going to keep a running list of all my questions until someone comes along to answer them

Questions:
    1. What are the symptoms of sulfate deficiency? Is there a test? Should I be adding more, less, and how do I tell?
    2. Since my iron is undetectable, how much should I be adding? I normally add 1/4 tsp every other day.
    3. Are my KH and GH okay? The pamphlet that comes with the test has certain ranges for certain fish, but it says my water is too hard for live plants, so I'm not sure I agree with their suggestions.
    4. Which ferts CAN'T be dosed on the same day? I know phosphate and CSM+B can't but is that the only bad combo?

Comment

Keeping a log like this will be very helpful to you!! Looking back you will start to figure things out on your own.

Now to address your questions......

Originally posted by kinezumi89 View Post
      Sulfate deficiency show up with deformed leaf shapes and other unusual growth. The bigger issue with Potassium. When in shortage leaves start to develop pinholes, which grow over time if the deficiency isn't corrected.

2. Since my iron is undetectable, how much should I be adding? I normally add 1/4 tsp every other day, though I have forgotten the last couple days :;smack I guess this goes to show me that I shouldn't do that!
      I would double it to 1/2 tsp until you start to get measurable levels, then adjust from there.

More than OK!!! Need to have at least 4 degrees each. You have no worries here.

Dosed 1/2 tsp CSM+B today. I'll do an iron test tomorrow.

I'm just going to keep a running list of all my questions until someone comes along to answer them

You did the right thing! Keep dosing 1/2 tsp CSM+B for a week on micro days and monitor with the iron tests.

4. Which ferts CAN'T be dosed on the same day? I know phosphate and CSM+B can't but is that the only bad combo?
      That is the only one I know for sure, but there is another combo of macro and micro. Just make sure to dose macros separately from micros and you won't have to worry about it
      - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
      Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
      Socrates

Comment

Thank you for the info! Regarding the last one, I wasn't sure if I could dose nitrate with the micros today. I decided to play it safe and not, so I didn't test, so I'm not sure if I even needed to. I'll test tomorrow of course.

The fish tank looks so gloriously vibrant with all the algae gone!! It's like there's no acrylic, just a block of water Hopefully I can keep it that way.

Comment

I hope so too Zumi! I am following your thread but I'm not used to dosing the powders so I'll just lurk.
          __________________________________________________ _____
          Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
          110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

LOL good to know, I won't say anything bad about you then

I'll be testing and updating later this evening. One final separating me from freedom!

Comment

I love reading fert blogs. You are on the right track. Don't forget to take a weekly picture so you can track growth. I need to update mine.
              Please check out:

Forum Rules

Information about Duplicate Posts

Warnings, Infractions and Bannings

Comment

I will for sure be taking plenty of pictures I got some last night, before and after trimming the giant crypt spiralis. It was blocking out too much light.

Comment

Quick update, been super busy. Who would think I'd be busier AFTER finals were over??

Friday I tested nitrates and they were about 5-10ppm so I dosed 1/2 tsp nitrates and 1/4 tsp sulfate. Yesterday I dosed 1/2 tsp CSM+B. Tested nitrates today and they were 20ppm+ !! Definitely no nitrates today, just 1/4 tsp sulfate. (Or potassium, not sure what the important part is.) Hopefully the plants hurry up and eat up the nitrates!

Comment

5/13 - 1/2 tsp CSM+B
                    5/14 - 1/4 tsp sulfate
                    5/15 - 1/2 tsp CSM+B

Comment

Working...
                    X