Dry Ferts question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry Ferts question

This might be a very basic question, but I've never used dry fertilizer before.

Can you premix dry ferts and water and store it like you do with liquid ferts? and dose your tank when you need it? or does premixing dry ferts nutrients deteriorates over time in water?

Re: Dry Ferts question

There are a couple of issues/concerns when pre-mixing dry ferts.

1. Without a preservative the mixture will fungus and grow mold in just a couple of weeks unless kept in the refrigerator. And even then it still has a short shelf life.
    2. Some compounds should not be mixed together for an all-in-one formula. Specifically the iron and phosphate compounds. They will bind together and form a compound that plants are unable to utilize. This is probably the primary reason macros and micros are dosed on different days.

If you were interested in mixing dry ferts, I would determine how much should be dosed in a week. And, I would mix 2 solutions. One for the macros and the other for the micros. Then, at the end of the week, both solutions would be gone if dosed correctly. This may be a good option for smaller tanks so you don't have to try to measure something as small as 1/64th tsp!

For a larger tank it is just as easy to remove a small amount of water from the tank, drop in the daily measure of ferts and pour it into the tank.
    - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
    Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
    Socrates

Comment

I didn't know it was that complicated.

I thought you can add water and dry ferts and store away. Never that simple in this hobby I guess.

Comment

Many don't realize it. Just like with other aspects of chemistry, certain things just shouldn't be mixed together.
        - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
        Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
        Socrates

Comment

Yeah stuff does need to be kept separate especially your macros. I keep mine in my wine fridge and have had no problems.
          -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
          If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
          Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
          Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

Working...
          X