bought some bulbs today!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bought some bulbs today!

Went to petsmart to buy some omega one betta pellets (they were out but today as truck day so they have to sift through it all I plan to go back Monday for them if they have any) anyways and I saw they had packets of top in live plan bulbs... each packet contained
    1 water lily (nymphaea lotus 'green')
    1 water onion (crinum thaianum)
    2 aponogeton (A. Ulvaceus)

So i bought the 2 with the most bulbs (1 had 7 the other had 6) paid $4.49 each!

So i have total 2 lilies, 3 onion, and 8 aponos! Now i am going to plant them and watch them do their magic! I am going to also mark today and 30 days from now on the calander... any not showing growth are being shipped to be replaced :-)

Also how do I plant the onions so the seed thing doesn't fall apart if i ever move it?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130302_135012.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	141599
    2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
    2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
    1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
    40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
    "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

That's a ton of bulbs! Hope you can get them to grow

As for the onions, they should look like miniature onions...lol. You plant them half to 3/4 into the substrate. If you ever want to move them, try to lift from underneath to loosen all the roots those bulbs will send out.
    - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
    Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
    Socrates

Comment

Yes that's a lot :-) gotta love it haha... I plan to go and get the rest of them because I want more lilies for my shrimp tanks :-)

Okay (lol I know they look like terestrial(sp) onions haha their seed are in the far right of the picture) and i will keep that in mind for the moving... I was just going to floar them until the sunk or started growing roots... but planting seems safer right now lol... do you know how they split or grow more little plants?
      2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
      "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

Nice! Good luck with them!
        Christine

Comment

Very nice! I hope they all sprout for you! Remember to keep the boxes so you can send them back if they don't sprout.
          -Jonathan

Comment

That's the plan Rogue!
            2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

bulbs are a lot of fun to plant

Comment

Well they are even more fun once they actually grow!
                2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

Oh all those bulbs only 2 onions and 1 Lilly bloomed... Looks like I'm sending lots of seeds in...
                  2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

Sorry about that. Hopefully you get lots in return!
                    -Jonathan

Comment

yeah I am going to set up a seperate tank/container and attempt to grow them that way next time... that way i have more control over everything... though I love the MTS as they cleared off the brown crust on the bulbs and helped the ones that did grow to bloom!
                      2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

Working...
                      X