No announcement yet.

Recommendations For Removing Duckweed?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations For Removing Duckweed?

I've tried a net so far to get rid of the duckweed that came in on my plants (yes, I rinsed them well before putting them in the tank, they just clung to the wisteria so much it was impossible to get them all off.) Someone suggested when I do a water change I do it at the surface to suck them all up..but that will just make my tube clogged with it and spread it to the other tanks. Any suggestions guys?
    ~Erin
    10g, 20g, 29g, 55g

Actually if you increase the surface movement it will kill it off... All mine died when I added a new filter to the tank :/
    2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
    2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
    1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
    40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
    "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

I've got the bubbler, the sponge filter and now the spray bar pointing up, there's still some dead areas where it can hang out.
      ~Erin
      10g, 20g, 29g, 55g

Comment

The duckweed will grow in the dead areas still.

Purchase Vals or Limphonia. There is a synergy between these plants and duckweed that will kill off the duckweed That's how I got rid of mine, but the plants have since been eaten or died out.
        - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
        Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
        Socrates

Comment

I used a power filter to get rid of mine. I put it sideways at the surface so it sucked up all the nasty duckweed. Course I also helped it along by removing as much as possible with a net.
          -Jonathan

Comment

Originally posted by catsma_97504 View Post
            The duckweed will grow in the dead areas still.

Purchase Vals or Limphonia. There is a synergy between these plants and duckweed that will kill off the duckweed That's how I got rid of mine, but the plants have since been eaten or died out.
            I have jungle vals in there, will those work?
            ~Erin
            10g, 20g, 29g, 55g

Comment

I was actually able to remove mine from my rimless manually. Each night when I fed, I just removed what I could see, in about a week it was gone never to be seen again.
              Chris (the 'h' is silent)

Comment

I used the skimming method on one of my tanks, took a few times to get it all but hasnt come back since. I havent tried any natural methods but they should work by all accounts.
                -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
                If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
                Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
                Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

Working...
                X