Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plants keep tank "cleaner" than tap?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Plants keep tank "cleaner" than tap?

    Well, I just did a 40% water change on my 125 gallon planted community tank, and just like it did on my 55 gallon tank, my nitrates have risen. Does anyone else here have the issue of high nitrates in their tap water? Its funny that my plants are zapping so much nitrate out of the water that my fish bio loss can't keep up. Then, to raise the nitrate levels back up I have to do a water change... Lol.

    Ceste la vie, my fish still enjoy the fresh water and all seem to be doing a post St Patty's day jig.
    Last edited by AlyeskaGirl; 03-18-2013, 03:58 PM. Reason: Language

  • #2
    Hahaha that's funny. My tap water comes out with all 0s except for calcium. I have a huge amount of calcium in my water. A buddy of mine has 2ppm of ammonia coming out of his tapwater! His tanks are REALLY well cycled haha.
    -Jonathan

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by RogueAgent94 View Post
      Hahaha that's funny. My tap water comes out with all 0s except for calcium. I have a huge amount of calcium in my water. A buddy of mine has 2ppm of ammonia coming out of his tapwater! His tanks are REALLY well cycled haha.
      How do you drink it if you ph is 0... Lol
      2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
      2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
      1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
      40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
      "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by FridayGt View Post
        Well, I just did a 40% water change on my 125 gallon planted community tank, and just like it did on my 55 gallon tank, my nitrates have risen. Does anyone else here have the issue of high nitrates in their tap water? Its funny that my plants are zapping so much nitrate out of the water that my fish bio loss can't keep up. Then, to raise the nitrate levels back up I have to do a water change... Lol.

        Ceste la vie, my fish still enjoy the fresh water and all seem to be doing a post St Patty's day jig.
        Bottle that tap water and sell as Nitrate boosters

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Sean View Post
          How do you drink it if you ph is 0... Lol
          Cause of the high calcium! Duhhh lol.
          -Jonathan

          Comment


          • #6
            I love my well water, I have about 4-6ppm nitrate in mine, not too bad and the plants always seem to be happy with it. I get great growth out of most of my plants but do need to find the balance of dry fertz in the tank as algae is now my nemisis.
            -Jim-

            Originally posted by Albert Einstein
            If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
            Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
            Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

            Comment


            • #7
              Yeah, Nitrate boosters! Lol. I've got a bunch of really fast growing plants in my tank right now, so I knew they would suck up the nitrates, but geez! Lol.

              You should have seen me try to explain that one to my Wife.

              Wife: "Didn't you just change the water in that tank?"
              Me: "Yes, but it's too clean again."

              ...


              Lol

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by FridayGt View Post
                Yeah, Nitrate boosters! Lol. I've got a bunch of really fast growing plants in my tank right now, so I knew they would suck up the nitrates, but geez! Lol.

                You should have seen me try to explain that one to my Wife.

                Wife: "Didn't you just change the water in that tank?"
                Me: "Yes, but it's too clean again."

                ...


                Lol
                ~Erin
                10g, 20g, 29g, 55g

                Comment


                • #9
                  My nitrates are at about 15ppm in my tap water
                  When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the fire department usually use water.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I think I may test mine for nitrates
                    Never underestimate the power of a smile

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Al :D View Post
                      My nitrates are at about 15ppm in my tap water
                      Remedy = green temple broadleaf, najas grass and water lettuce. Your tank will then be cleaner than your tap. Results may vary. Lather, rinse and repeat as needed. Lol

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        We can't get Najas grass over on this side of the pond as far as I have found. I was after some back when I had my endlers
                        Never underestimate the power of a smile

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Perhaps when Friday moves to Spain, I can mail Friday a portion and you a portion that is if Friday wants any.

                          AP sends Friday Najas through APO then sends Magoo European post?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Oooh, that sounds like a plan! Yeah, I'll probably defenitely want some to get started with. It grows fast and flat out assaults Nitrates. I really like it in my 125 if for no other reason than it shoots up quick to fill in that vertical space. I'd defenitely send some foward too, especially once I get the post office over there figured out... lol

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Hopefully you get an APO mailing address.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X