Pennywort: optimized

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pennywort: optimized

While doing my every other week pennywort trim, I noticed that 2 or 3 stems were nicely branched while all the others are just a single stem with no branching at all. Is there a specific way of trimming, or some other technique to help my pennywort realize it's full potential?

PS, every other week is fortnightly as opposed to biweekly...I looked it up
    Chris (the 'h' is silent)

Are the stems that are branching more horizontal? I ask because having stem plants held horizontal will cause it to produce more side shoots.
    - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
    Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
    Socrates

Comment

Since it's a floater, I have the bottom of the bunch of stems weighted to keep the bunch in place and it grows straight up and then lies across the top. I've heard the same thing, and seen it with anacharis. The distribution of the branching isn't necessarily localized to the upright portion or the horizontal portion. I'm wondering if it's just as simple as: some stems are branchers, others...ain't

Comment

You may be correct. It is possible the branching stems are getting a slightly increased water flow which could indicate extra ferts. Or they could be getting extra light. Or, even something as simple as not being as crowded aka have more space for branched growth.
        - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
        Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
        Socrates

Comment

In my experience pennywort produces a lot more branches when it is floating versus stuck in the substrate. The only reasons I can think of as to why, there may better supply of CO2 at the surface and the light would be plentiful. That stuff kept taking over the surface of my tank on a weekly basis lol.

Comment

I must just be lucky... I have some planted and some floating and its all branching...
            2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
            2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
            1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
            40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
            "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

Originally posted by chevyguy8893 View Post
              In my experience pennywort produces a lot more branches when it is floating versus stuck in the substrate. The only reasons I can think of as to why, there may better supply of CO2 at the surface and the light would be plentiful. That stuff kept taking over the surface of my tank on a weekly basis lol.
              I trim every other week, but it's due for a trim every week! I don't have mine planted, I just weight the trimmed end of the bunch to keep it from all bunching up opposite the filter outflow. You must have penny wort 2.0 Sean

If you trim off a few inches from the growing end, do you think it will start a new branch? That would leave you with a small new stem and another stem that would continue to grow.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21363798131.542819.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	137804

Comment

What kind of lights are those they look really awesome!

And I don't think its 2.0 just lucky lol... the tanks dirted and high light if that helps any... I don't dose ferts anymore either...
                2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
                2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
                1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
                40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
                "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

Thanks! Those are archaea 45 cm LED. Got 'em from aquaforest. I think it's Adana.com

Comment

Originally posted by cafN8d View Post
                    I trim every other week, but it's due for a trim every week! I don't have mine planted, I just weight the trimmed end of the bunch to keep it from all bunching up opposite the filter outflow. You must have penny wort 2.0 Sean

If you trim off a few inches from the growing end, do you think it will start a new branch? That would leave you with a small new stem and another stem that would continue to grow.
                    [ATTACH]722[/ATTACH]
                    Oh sorry, I am misreading things a lot today. Mine would branch out on its own with or without trimming, so I don't think I really had a technique for getting multiple branches versus one from the trimming. It is starting to seem like it just does whatever it wants. Not sure if this matters at all, but the leaves it had were close to double the size from when I got it (roughly the size of a quarter), same for the length of the roots.

Comment

I trimmed off the growing end of a stem to see if a new shoot comes off the last leaf node. I'll update when I see if it will branch or not.

Comment

Working...
                      X