Need Some Advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Some Advice

So far, things seem to be going alright in the 55g with the new plants. The jungle vals, however, are transparent and brown in areas, though I'm seeing new growth at the root areas.

To give everyone an update on tank stats:
    1 6500k T5NO bulb
    1 10000k t5no bulb
    PH: 7.4-7.6
    Tank is cycling, so nitrate levels are in flux.
    Sand Substrate supplemented with red clay
    Root Tabs near heavy root feeders (swords)
    Dose every other day with Flourish recommended amount

Lights are on about 12 hours a day (yeah, I know it's a lot, but haven't seen any algae issues).

I'd like to switch to dry ferts for cost reasons but I have no clue how to get started and the EI method frankly scares me with the possibility of killing off my live stock with too much of something put in. I'm also curious about co2 but scared of ph swings as well!

So here's what I need from you wonderful people:
    What extra test kits to get and where to get them?
    What dry ferts to get and best recommendation on where to get them?
    Best dosing method?
    Should I try co2? I know I can do a homemade system fairly easily and even have the plans for it, but would I need it?

Just like my fish, I want to do the best for my plants and I know we have some awesome people here who have amazing planted tanks, so any and all help is appreciated!
    ~Erin
    10g, 20g, 29g, 55g

I am fairly new to the whole planted tank thing myself. I have been at it for almost 6 months and still feel confused. I am doing liquids right now but will be going to dry probably next month.

Did you recently plant the jungle vals? Maybe the old growth will die because of the trauma of being uprooted and replanted and then the new growth will take over.
    __________________________________________________ __________
    Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

I am curious about this stuff as well I'll keep an eye on this thread good luck getting some answers!
      2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
      2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
      1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
      40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
      "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

Vals are root feeders as well. Try adding root tabs. If you are considering Excel be aware that vals will melt if not conditioned to it.

I'd guess you are on the low end of moderate lighting. This is the gray area for CO2 as you may or may not need it. I would try DIY first, using 3 generator bottles.

As for dry ferts I use Green Leaf Aquariums out if Florida. They offer a starter pack that contains each compound needed.

The test kits you'd need are:
        NO3
        PO4
        GH
        KH
        Fe

You may already have most of them.

Instead of getting wrapped around the axle with the different dosing plans I focus more on the parameters of the tank. Each dosing plan is nothing more than a guideline. Use the test results to make adjustments, not the dosing plan.

When you get ready to start let us know. We can help to get you started down the right path.

(This seems to be a common theme among our members. Guess I should do a writeup on starting out with dry ferts.)
        - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
        Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
        Socrates

Comment

Originally posted by catsma_97504 View Post

(This seems to be a common theme among our members. Guess I should do a writeup on starting out with dry ferts.)
          I think that'd be great. Maybe include info on EI and PPS dosing.

Good luck with the plants Rae!
          __________________________________________________ _____
          Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
          110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Originally posted by Raerianna View Post

1) So far, things seem to be going alright in the 55g with the new plants. The jungle vals, however, are transparent and brown in areas, though I'm seeing new growth at the root areas.

2) Lights are on about 12 hours a day (yeah, I know it's a lot, but haven't seen any algae issues).

I'd like to switch to dry ferts for cost reasons but I have no clue how to get started and the EI method frankly scares me with the possibility of killing off my live stock with too much of something put in. I'm also curious about co2 but scared of ph swings as well!

3 )So here's what I need from you wonderful people:

3A) What extra test kits to get and where to get them?

3B) What dry ferts to get and best recommendation on where to get them?
            Best dosing method?

3C) Should I try co2? I know I can do a homemade system fairly easily and even have the plans for it, but would I need it?

Just like my fish, I want to do the best for my plants and I know we have some awesome people here who have amazing planted tanks, so any and all help is appreciated!
            1) Jungle Vals have a tendency to melt when put into new environments or when your water parameters suddenly change. When I upgraded tanks, I had a forest of Jungle Vals in my old tank and when I transferred them in my new tank they melted but have bounce back.

2) Not yet

3A) Along with the Master Test Kit (that has Nitrate and pH), Iron, GH/KH, Phosphate and I get all mine on Amazon

3B) I got mine from Green Leaf Aquariums the "Green Fert Package" that has both Macro and Micros. I do like modified EI since not all planted tanks are the same and have different nutrient intakes/requirements

3C) That is up to you...I bought a CO2 kit, but I haven't set it up yet.

Comment

I second that idea. It's not you have anything else to do - between work, forums and all the other stuff .
              Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

That's a great idea dena!!! Is there a specific brand for theses test kits you recommended? My lfs (the one I hate) sells tons of Sera test kits... I have Tue calcium one but not sure on accuracy
                2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
                "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

The only calcium tests I can find are for saltwater. Are they the same?
                  Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

I think it all works the same... I only got one because my mystery snails shell started dissolving... I was worried....
                    2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

Found kh/gh and phosphate kits, having trouble with iron, anyone got a link?

Also, will I need some sort of scale for measuring the ferts or do you folks use teaspoons and such?

Thanks for all the advice so far!
                      ~Erin
                      10g, 20g, 29g, 55g

Comment

I found this one on amazon.com http://www.amazon.com/Seachem-MultiT...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Do we need to get a copper testing kit also?
                        Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

if you have inverts I would try to avoid copper if possible... but I don't see how testing for it could be bad...
                          2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

Originally posted by Raerianna View Post
                            Found kh/gh and phosphate kits, having trouble with iron, anyone got a link?

Also, will I need some sort of scale for measuring the ferts or do you folks use teaspoons and such?

Thanks for all the advice so far!

The link that Oscar posted is the one I have.

I have measuring spoons that you can get at a $1 Store, in my case Ikea was closer so I got mine there.

Comment

Hrm...I'm almost pondering the PPS method because I would like to be able to use it on all my tanks (all three are now planted, including Dustin's 10g). It'd be a less expensive liquid fert basically...I think?
                              ~Erin
                              10g, 20g, 29g, 55g

Comment

Working...
                              X