Glossostigma and excel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glossostigma and excel

A couple of days ago I ordered some glossostigma from aquariumplants.com. They sent me this pot that was almost completely dead. After sorting through it is tried to get the pieces that still had some green on them. Here are some pics so you can see:
    http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/...psca507953.jpg

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/...ps99a89b8d.jpg

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/...ps614786a4.jpg

So as you can see the plant is still somewhat alive, but mostly dead. Will this plant come back? I'm not having any luck getting my DIY co2 to work, will excel be good for this plant, its in a 15 gallon tank? Thanks

I can't see any of the pictures. When I click on the links they just come up as blank pages.

What kind of lighting is on the tank? I suppose adding a small amount of excel won't hurt. If you don't have a lot of lighting though, the plant may not be able to make use of the excel.

Comment

Welcome to our site! Sorry to hear your plant order didn't end up like you had hoped.

Unfortunately, the photo links are not working, so cannot answer your question regarding whether or not the plant will survive.

As for using Excel, I see no reason why you couldn't do so.

Best of luck with your tank!
      - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
      Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
      Socrates

Comment

Hello and welcome! I couldn't see your pictures either.
        __________________________________________________ __________
        Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

I forgot to say welcome as well! Glad to have you here!

Comment

Hello and Welcome! I agree with the above posters as far as the excel.
            __________________________________________________ _____
            Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
            110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Hi guys and sorry for the bad pics. Its a 15 gallon with two 23 watt cfl bulbs. These links should work:

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/...psca507953.jpg

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/...ps99a89b8d.jpg

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/...ps614786a4.jpg

Comment

Welcome! Those photo links worked for me in the second go, though I'm not green thumbed enough to be able to answer your question.
                ~Erin
                10g, 20g, 29g, 55g

Comment

Give it some time. It might make a comeback. Sometimes, especially after being shipped, plants look like they are dead or dying. But after it acclimates to your tank you should see some improvement. Of course, I am far from being a plant expert so wait for others to chime in.
                  __________________________________________________ __________
                  Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

It is iffy whether those plants can survive or not. At the very least I would contact the company you purchased from and get replacements or your money back.
                    - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

Ya i'm gunna give them a call on monday. With two 23 watt cfl bulbs, would excel work ok with that much light? I only ask because I tried to get some DIY co2 going, but failed to get it going. I used two cups of sugar and mixed that with hot water. I then let that water cool, then took one teaspoon of dry yeast and mixed it with some warm water in a separate small cup. I then put a few pinches of sugar in with it and mixed it with a fork until the water was creamy tan. I let that sit for 10-15 minutes-it was a little thick on the top-then I put it in the two liter with 1/2 teaspoon of corn starch and 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda. I shook the bottles-I used two 2-liters. I then capped the pre-shaken bottles with the tube caps- I used some bulk head fittings and silicon-ed both sides of the cap with co2 resistant tubing on the other side. I did notice that the fitting were a little smaller like 121 I think. But I heavily put silicone around were the tubing meets the fitting.

The tubing on the two liter bottles then go to a separate small bottle-filled with tap water with bulkhead fittings. The inlet side has a tube going into the water to act as a catcher- I heard some of the mixture can go into the tubing so the separate water filled small bottle is nice for that and will act as a bubble counter. The the other bulkhead with a tube connected to the outside goes to the check valve and to my glass nano co2 diffuser.

So like I said the system didn't produce anything. I know this because no bubbles came out of the nano diffuser nor did I see any bubbles come out of the tube going into the bubble counter. Not sure what I did wrong, but does anyone have any suggestions on how to get this to work? Thanks guys

Lol funny thing. Just when I went to check the system, the tube somehow popped off of the nano glass diffuser and bubbles were coming out. But the weird thing is that I cant see any bubbles coming out of the tube going into the bubble counter, any thought?. I decided to stick a cigarette filter in the end of the tube to diffuse it. I'll see what happens.
                      Last edited by AlyeskaGirl; 03-23-2013, 09:57 PM. Reason: merged posts

Comment

You should be good with excel. If your diffuser didn't specifically state it could work in a low pressure system, it could be most of the problem. Most need a higher pressure than DIY can attain.

The bubble counter bottle should have the entry tube down to the bottom, covered on water. And the exit tube should be just under the lid in the air to be able to pick up the gas.

Hope you can figure out what is wrong.
                        - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

Working...
                        X