Star grass with excel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star grass with excel

I have a 15 gallon aquarium with some star grass, rotala indica, glosso stigma, java fern, crypts, and anubias. These plants have been in there for a couple of days. Will excel be ok with these plants especially star grass and glossostigma? I also have two 23 watt cfl bulbs, I'm thinking about lining the inside of the incandescent fixture with aluminum and duck taping the edges with aluminum on the inside of the duck tape because the bulbs are big and push the fixture above the glass is sits on. I'm worried that too much light will escape if I don't do what I mentioned. Any thoughts?

I agree that adding a reflector would help with your lighting. But if you are using actual incandescent bulbs and not CFLs, then your lighting may not be sufficient.

As for using Excel, you may get some melt from the crypts. You may want to start out with half doses of Excel and increase it to full strength over the next couple of weeks.
    - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
    Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
    Socrates

Comment

Hi Dena, The bulbs are two 23 watt cfl bulbs. So you agree with putting the aluminum in there. There are already the metal peices that go under the bulbs. I was thinking of completely encasing the inside with foil. And duck taping the edges since the bulbs are big and push the fixture above the glass letting some of the light escape under the gap. What do you think.

Comment

I use that foil tape typically used to seal duct work. Its not the greatest reflector but better than what alot of the hoods come with imo.
        __________________________________________________ _____
        Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
        110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

The foil tape is a great idea, give you a pre sticky side as well for ease of attaching, and that stuff does like to stick to most anything.

As for the excel and crypts I would start off with a lower dose as Dena mentioned and work you way up, crypts are very sensitive to the CO2 changes.
          -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
          If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
          Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
          Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

I went with just regular aluminum foil. I didn't really notice any changes as far as how much light i see, but will this increase the intensity of the lights? Just a reminder, The fixture has two cfl 23 watt 6500k bulbs.

Comment

You might need to do some adjustment. If the foil is flat then in will be reflecting some of the light. It should help.
              - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
              Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
              Socrates

Comment

Working...
              X