Plants dying

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is wrong: Plants dying

Hi all , the plants in my tank keeps on dying and have tried a couple of different plants, fertilizers/macro micro nutrients , made sure to have co2 , water is neutral and all perametres is normal , water changes once a month, 3 large aquarium plant florecent lighting , blue , pink and white which penetrates the water great and moved the tank into a position where it gets natural sunlight from the back of my tank but has had no effect on plant vigor , only things which seems to grow is my giant & normal anubias and my java moss , what is worrying me is that I have aquatic plant fertilizer with root tablets , capped with gravel and thought that the excess nutrients may leach out into my water affecting the overall quality of my water and ultimately my fish becuase of there being no good root system. I have now added some duckweed worrying about a nutrient build up and that has now covered the surface with in a month so constantly taking a hand full out to throw away and crushing it and making a paste to make pellets for my pleco as to not block too much light . If anyone has some advice as to how they do their maintenance would be much appreciated .

What are you ammonia, nitrite and nitrate test results? This will tell you if you have used too much fertilizer and if it is now leeching into the water column.

There are so many variables that it is impossible to provide a general blanket statement as to why your plants are not thriving. The holy trinity of successful plant growth is a balance of lighting, CO2 and ferts. It would appear that you have attempted to cover this ground, so maybe something is simply out of balance.

What types of plants have you tried? Are they high light plants? You mentioned only the anubias and moss is surviving. This may indicate that you have fairly low lighting on your tank and only the low light plants are surviving.

What happens with your plants before they die off? Are there color changes in the leaves or stems? Do the plants melt? Can you provide photos of these plants?

- Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
    Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
    Socrates

Comment

Phone won't let me upload pics but they just die back one leaf at a time and they never regrow , nitrite , ammonia is on 0 and nitrate is normal aswel and pH is neutral aswel , took my water to an aquarium shop to have it tested . Had some medium and high light plants which lasted fine initially. If it is the lighting then I'll just move over to LED

Comment

Are you using salt? Any types of meds? It is somewhat normal for plants to shed leaves in times of stress, and then regrow new leaves that are more suitable to the current environment.

Comment

Been using a little salt with large water changes from the begining and this tank has been running for about a year now , most just don't seem too last ! Do you think a bristle nose pleco could be nibbling on them seeing as though it's always one plant at a time to go ?

Comment

Most salts and plants do not mix. If you are using aquarium salt, stop. This could be the very reason why your plants don't survive. Bristlenose like to rasp on larger, flat leaved plants. They can go overboard and the leaves will become extremely thin. I prune these out once holes start to take over the leaf so the plant will focus on growing more leaves instead of repairing the damaged one.

All you can do is to periodically buy one or two plants and give it a shot. Learning to grow plants in our aquarium can be challenging until you figure it out.
            - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
            Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
            Socrates

Comment

Thanks for response, going to try new lighting

Comment

Working...
              X