Moss mats on metal mesh

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moss mats on metal mesh

I just received some moss mats from an overseas seller on eBay. I'm pretty sure it is the Christmas tree moss. I got 3 of them and they are about 2-1/2" square. The moss itself is beautiful and very healthy looking. The problem is that they are on metal mats. Is that going to be ok to put in the aquariums? I am afraid of corrosion. For now I have them in the tank I just got because it isn't cycled yet and there are no fish in it.
    __________________________________________________ __________
    Lori

30G, 5G

Aquaticmagic right? I got some moss from them as well on a metal mesh... It's been 4 months now and no issues so far and yup bought it shouldn't you know what it is lol
    2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
    2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
    1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
    40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
    "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

Actually it wasn't from them. It was from a seller in Taiwan. Came in a yellow envelope labeled as a "soft toy". I think I am going to stick to domestic plant sellers from now on. But it is almost impossible to find moss locally. Nobody in our area carries anything but the marimo balls.

So you think I will be ok to stick it in there? I am trying to start a "lawn" across some of my rocks.
      Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Mine has been so far but I say keep an eye on it... However if it is Xmas moss then you should just rip it off and tie it to a piece of plastic canvas
        2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
        2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
        1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
        40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
        "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

I've got Christmas moss from Aquatic magic and it just came loose.

I would say, not knowing what the metal is, if it makes you uncomfortable remove the moss and propagate it on plastic canvas. I would think you would loose some doing this but not the end of the world for piece of mind. I have seen those before and they had a rusty look to them, not good imo, I don't know if they're all the same or not though.
          __________________________________________________ _____
          Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
          110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

It's probably stainless steal or aluminum. I would leave it personally but you could always take it off.
            -Jonathan

Comment

Doug (hubby) looked at it and said he thought it was aluminum and while it wouldn't rust, it might corrode with time. I have some plastic canvas left from when I did Sammy's wall so I think I will transfer it over to that. Better safe than sorry.

Also the edges are really sharp so I would be afraid of somebody getting hurt on it.
              Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

I of course do not know what type of metal it is, or what type my experience was, but just to share: for quite awhile I've noticed what looked like a piece of squashed airline tubing, about 1/4" long, in the back of my 20 long. I could get back there well so I just ignored it. Last weekend I pruned the water sprite back and could see back there well, so I pulled the mystery object out...and it was a metal bulldog clip!! (You know, the black and silver ones that you use to chomp a stack of papers with.) Needless to say, there was a PILE of what I assume was rust underneath it, "soaked" all the way through the sand. I panicked and pulled it out, and did more water change (I had already removed 50%) to try and suck all the rust out, not caring that I removed a bunch of sand too. I realized later that it's copper that's a problem for shrimp (I have lots of RCS in there), not iron (or iron oxide as the case may be), but either way I didn't want it in there. I haven't noticed a decrease in population and everyone is bright red and happy.

However if Sean has a similar mat and hasn't had problems yet, maybe it would be okay? I've used bitey clips (as I call them) to pin up airline tubing, cords, etc. and when it gets wet, it starts to rust pretty quickly. I would assume Sean would have had problems by now if he was going to. But, like Matt said, for peace of mine you may want to make your own plastic mat.

Edit: oops, you ninja-ed me Aluminum is prized for its anti-corrosive properties, but if it's sharp that's just another reason to switch it out.

Comment

I think I will email the guys I got the moss from and see if they know what type of metal they used for the mat and then make my decision from there. I googled "can you put metal in an aquarium" and got answers going both ways. Bottom line, I guess, is what type of metal it is, so I will try to find out from them.
                  Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Stainless steel. Is he cnf something on ebay?

I have one or three, it hasn't degraded and have been in my tank for about year.

His first name is Calvin? Well according to paypal.
                    Please check out:

Forum Rules

Information about Duplicate Posts

Warnings, Infractions and Bannings

Comment

cnj0321 is the name of the seller. That's good to know that you haven't had any problems. The mats look so nice I really don't want to take them apart. I sent them an email to see what they have to say about it.
                      Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Working...
                      X