No announcement yet.

Rotala Indica tips shriveling up, help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rotala Indica tips shriveling up, help!

I have noticed recently, that the new growth on my rotala indica is all small and shriveled looking, I have a 15 gallon with two 23watt cfl bulbs and dose pps-pro style ferts, about 3ml of the macro and micros.

Here are a couple of pics of the plants I'm tanking about:

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/...pscc61e3c0.jpg

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/...psefd5bbad.jpg

Any Ideas as to why this is occurring?
    Thanks

Looks normal to me... Mine grows the same then expands to normal length... But don't quote me on that... Maybe Dena or rogue or Matt or someone else will have more to add...
    2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
    2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
    1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
    40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
    "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

Mine sometimes looks like that as well.

Comment

Shriveled leaves like that could be a CO2, nitrogen, or a calcium deficiency. I think a lack of micros can cause that also. What kind of parameters do you have for GH and nitrates? Mine did that a few months ago and it took a process of elimination to find it was a nitrogen deficiency.

Comment

What are your readings for NO3, KH and GH? Do you have some sort of CO2 supplementation?
          Christine

Comment

DOn't know the gh or kh honestly, lol can't afford to go out and get a test kit for that, but I do supplement with diy co2, about 1-2.5 bubbles per second. The nitrates are at about 20 ppm. Also about the gh or kh, if this makes any difference, I have lots of mineral deposits all around my lights in a couple of my aquariums. Not yet on the 15 because it is only a couple of weeks old.

Comment

Does this tank have livestock? Or, just plants?

You could try adding the tiniest pinch of baking soda to raise calcium and carbonate levels; or Epsom Salt for magnesium. Be very careful with baking soda if you have fish in your tank.
              - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
              Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
              Socrates

Comment

Also make sure your CO2 is adequate and dosing enough Micros. You can even increase Micros a tad bit. The fun part about this is figuring out what it is by making small adjustments one at a time and observe.
                Christine

Comment

This is a fishless aquarium, just lots of plants. I'll increase my micro to 4ml and keep the macro at 3ml since I'm getting enough macros. Also not sure what you mean by a pinch, like a 1/4 teaspoon and how often should I add for more calcium?

Comment

Originally posted by tayjay76 View Post
                    This is a fishless aquarium, just lots of plants. I'll increase my micro to 4ml and keep the macro at 3ml since I'm getting enough macros. Also not sure what you mean by a pinch, like a 1/4 teaspoon and how often should I add for more calcium?
                    no no....1/4 tsp is way too much. A pinch would be like half of 1/8 tsp or even less.
                    Christine

Comment

I meant a literal pinch of baking soda. You don't want too much. I'd say it would be more like 1/32. Very little would be needed.

It will have an immediate affect on your ph.
                      - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

Ok thanks, should I just do that like twice a week or what?

Comment

Start with once a week to see if anything changes. You don't want too much or your pH will skyrocket.
                          - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

Ok, I got ahold of a kh and gh test kit from api. What are good ranges for those in a planted tank. Also how does diy co2 affect these?

Comment

Count the number of drops to change color. You should have at least 4 drops per test. CO2 does not affect these tests.
                              - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

Working...
                              X