Green Cobomba turning a little yellow

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green Cobomba turning a little yellow

I have this plant in a 29 gallon tank with a t5 ho lamp. I dose ferts daily and have a DIY co2 system running on it as well. I have really noticed today that my cobomba is turning yellow on the tops. What can cause this? I have a picture of it here:

Last edited by catsma_97504; 04-24-2013, 10:17 PM. Reason: Changed linked image to display in post

Do you know your water params?

Without knowing your water params, my guess:

Iron deficiency or not enough light
    Last edited by NorthStar; 04-24-2013, 06:12 PM.
    Please check out:

Forum Rules

Information about Duplicate Posts

Warnings, Infractions and Bannings

Comment

I was kinda thinking iron. This is very recent, the nitrates are at 20, my ph is at 6.6, so that means that nitrogen and co2 levels are fine. Like I said the yellowing started yesterday, I also noticed that the nodes are getting longer, what I mean is that the leaves on the stem are pretty far apart, not sure what that means either. I have a 24 inch t5 HO 6500k light with two 24 watt t5 HO bulbs. Is that not enough light?

Comment

Root tablets with iron should do the trick
        It does not matter if you are right or wrong...
        As long as you learn and Keep Moving Forward!

~Anthony

Comment

Originally posted by tayjay76 View Post
          I was kinda thinking iron. This is very recent, the nitrates are at 20, my ph is at 6.6, so that means that nitrogen and co2 levels are fine. Like I said the yellowing started yesterday, I also noticed that the nodes are getting longer, what I mean is that the leaves on the stem are pretty far apart, not sure what that means either. I have a 24 inch t5 HO 6500k light with two 24 watt t5 HO bulbs. Is that not enough light?
          If the leaves on the stem are pretty far apart would suggest not enough lighting, but what you indicated on your lighting is that you should have sufficient lighting. How long is your photoperiod.

I wouldn't use root tabs because Green Cabomba is a stem plant and not really a heavy root feeder.
          Please check out:

Forum Rules

Information about Duplicate Posts

Warnings, Infractions and Bannings

Comment

Can you test for KH and GH? The reason I am asking is that Magnesium is important for plants to uptake iron. So sometimes the deficiency can look like iron deficiency which is yellowing. So basically we rule things out by testing those parameters. Then if those are in good readings then it points to iron.

Are you dosing dry or liquid fertilizers?
            Christine

Comment

I tested my aquariums KH and got 8kdh. I tested my GH and got 17. As you can see my water is pretty hard. I am using dry fertalizers. I dose with a pps-pro style mixture. I put about 7ml of the macros and 8ml of the micros. I have adjusted the dosing according to my tank's needs, started with 1ml per ten gallons, but increased it every week because the plants needed more. So far I haven't had to increase the macros from 7ml because from my nitrates, it seems to be enough. I also dose about 4ml of flourish phosphorus three times a week due to the fact that I have issues with GSA and my tap water has very low phosphates. I dose 4ml of excel for an extra carbon boost three times a week also.

Comment

Good info! I would up the Micros then since your KH/GH check out.

I hope they bounce back and don't give you too much more trouble.

Dena should see this soon and respond as well.
                Last edited by AlyeskaGirl; 04-24-2013, 09:41 PM.
                Christine

Comment

Is the yellowing only on those few stems that are directly under that bulb I see in the reflection at the water surface? If the cabomba in other areas of your tank are doing good it could be too much light. If not, then I would increase your micros and see if that helps. Cabomba does like it's iron.
                  - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
                  Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
                  Socrates

Comment

They were at one time, but aren't under the light. The light is in the middle of the tank, the cobomba in the picture in in the very back of the aquarium. I ordered some flourish iron today, so should get it in a couple of days. I'll go ahead and bump up the micros to 9ml daily, and see how that works. Does adding more micros do anything to the GH? With 17 I am just curious. Also, how much iron should I dose and how often. I also failed to mention that I dose the micros and macros on opposite sides so that the iron and phosphates don't counter act.

Comment

When I was using the Flourish products I was following Seachem's dosing chart and the phosphate and iron went in on different days. The chart is on their website if you want to check it out. I would give you the link but I'm on my phone and don't know how. Phone might be smart but user isn't .
                      __________________________________________________ __________
                      Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Working...
                      X