• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions and Help for 30G Tank

__________________________________________________ __________
    Lori

30G, 5G

I think you should be ok without cycling but make sure you remove any rotting vegetation quickly to avoid build up of acids in your water.

A filter might be advisable just to keep water flowing in the tank. All though not necessary it will probably help minimize any potential algae problems.

Without stock you will most likely need to add a nitrogen supplement for your plants.

as far as temps it will depend on the plants but I'd think 72 is probably good for most.

keep in mind you'll still want to do water changes because plants will deplete minerals in the water.
    8 GloFish
    6 Glowlight Tetra
    1 Dwarf Gourami
    4 Mystery Snail

Comment

I plan on getting a filter within the next couple weeks. If I had to, I have a little 10G one I could throw on there just for circulation.

I started using dry ferts, but I still have some Seachem Nitrogen left. I can dose the tank with that.

And water changes are part of the neverending story in this house any more. What's one more tank .

Thank you for your help.
      Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

My pleasure!
        8 GloFish
        6 Glowlight Tetra
        1 Dwarf Gourami
        4 Mystery Snail

Comment

I've kept a planted dirted tank without any fish for about 3 months partly because I didn't know what to put in it. I only added a heater when I put fish in my tank. I didn't have a filter just an airstone for circulation. The plants were added the day I set up the tank. Just remember to press down on the substrate to release the gas build up unless you are mineralizing your soil.

The tank cycled itself so I didn't have to worry about cycling.

Sounds like a great Walstad tank, excited to follow this thread.

Plant wise: I would add a combination of rooted, stem and floating for the initial stages of a dirted tank. Having all three types helps absorbs the surplus of nutrients and decrease the chance of an Algae bloom.
          Last edited by NorthStar; 05-05-2013, 08:11 AM.
          Please check out:

Forum Rules

Information about Duplicate Posts

Warnings, Infractions and Bannings

Comment

Thank you. I am hoping to get started on this tomorrow. Someone has to get the tank out of the back of the truck first .

I pulled some java fern out of my big tank this morning when I did a water change and also come of the bacopa and hornwort which was all tangled together and floating around the top. They are in a bucket until I can get started.
            Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

A planted tank does not require filtration. Instead it need circulation. Just something to create water movement.

Plants will take care of the ammonia and nitrogen compounds. Your dirt will be creating plenty initially.

I'd imagine that no ferts will be necessary either...at least initially. Again the dirt will have you covered. Even CO2 is released from the dirt.

This type of tank will be carefree. Water changes are not needed. Yep, that dirt will have you covered. Just top off to replace evaporated water.

I have a dirted tank, no filtration but plants. It houses my RCS. If I do water changes 4 times a year I'm lucky!
              - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
              Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
              Socrates

Comment

Oh, I am liking this more and more . I have and air pump and aerator I can put in there to circulate the water around. Gotta start making a list. Also gotta go to bed so I can stay awake at work tonight.
                Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Oh I missed the dirted part! Sorry bout that!
                  8 GloFish
                  6 Glowlight Tetra
                  1 Dwarf Gourami
                  4 Mystery Snail

Comment

I was wondering if anyone had ever done a dirted tank and just used the potting soil/top soil and no capping substrate?
                    Last edited by oscarsbud; 05-06-2013, 08:02 AM.
                    Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

If I'm not mistaken the soil would make a mess and give off lots of debris. I think underwater it doesn't want to stay put.
                      __________________________________________________ _____
                      Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
                      110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

You're probably right. I was just curious if anyone else had done it. I think I'll stick with original plan of soil with sand capper. Tank is out on front porch. Just got done cleaning it up. Took the finish off part of the cabinet so I have to refinish that before I go any further.
                        Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

I got my plants from Dena today! So I definitely gotta get it in gear and get the cabinet refinished so I can get started on the fun part.
                          Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Woohoo! Are they suffering from gigantism? When I've gotten plants from her before they were all afflicted with it.
                            __________________________________________________ _____
                            Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
                            110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Pictures
                              Please check out:

Forum Rules

Information about Duplicate Posts

Warnings, Infractions and Bannings

Comment

Working...
                              X