L. aromatica "hippuroides" plant discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L. aromatica "hippuroides" plant discussion

I found my purple plant...anybody have any personal knowledge on this plant?
    Please check out:

Forum Rules

Information about Duplicate Posts

Warnings, Infractions and Bannings

I found some of this at my LFS and jumped on it; it's not often you see pink plants!! It was a struggle though. My tank has 2x 54W T5HOs, injected CO2, dry ferts, and root tabs, and it still didn't do well. It's possible it was the location, as I haven't gotten any stem plants to thrive in the area it was in (though java fern is doing well), but it slowly started losing the needles/leaves off the bottom, and the remaining ones were a dull pink color, not as vibrant as when I got them. Plus, from being curled up in the bag on the ride home from the LFS, they got all bent out of shape and looked pretty cruddy in that regard too.

If you get some, I would be sure to put it in an area that gets a lot of light, I think that was my problem. Also that area probably needed a fresh root tab, though I'm assuming being a stem plant it probably doesn't feed from the substrate too much anyway. Can't hurt! This seems like a finicky plant and if I tried again I would do everything possible to give it its best chances for success.

Here are some pictures I had of when I had mine. First is it floating when I just got it, but hadn't planted it yet. Second is when I had just planted it, you can see how curvy and bent it is. Third is after I had it for awhile and the color started fading. Sorry the pictures are kinda blurry
    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks a bunch for the feedback on this plant. Your pictures are amazing!!!! I'm going to give it a try.
      Please check out:

Forum Rules

Comment

I hope it stays purple for you! You'll have to put up pictures I still haven't found a non-green plant that grows well in that tank. There must be some common reason, maybe my iron is too low.

Comment

I have some! Love the plant. I'm currently growing it emersed. Grows pretty fast and is very pretty but is difficult to maintain the intense purple color.
          -Jonathan

Comment

Originally posted by RogueAgent94 View Post
            I have some! Love the plant. I'm currently growing it emersed. Grows pretty fast and is very pretty but is difficult to maintain the intense purple color.
            Pictures!!! Do you also use it for cooking? I read it is also a Vietnamese herb.
            Please check out:

Forum Rules

Comment

I had it in my tank. The plant is very touchy submersed. High demand on lighting, ferts, and CO2. Will be purple near the water surface, green near substrate. Does not like to be crowded.

Angels will eat it too.

I know it is an herb, but it can't be grown in an aquarium as the chemicals are usually labeled as not to be used for human consumption. So the fish and plants are off limits.

Plant smells wonderful too. Very aromatic!!
              - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
              Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
              Socrates

Comment

Originally posted by NorthStar View Post
                Pictures!!! Do you also use it for cooking? I read it is also a Vietnamese herb.
                Okay I'll try! It's not purple right now haha.
                Yes, I've used it a few times. I try not to chop it up too much cause I want to eventually try to get it to grow in a fish tank haha.
                -Jonathan

Comment

Maybe I can split my bunch, half goes in the tank and the other half goes to a Dry Start tank in which I can grow it faster so I can have multiple stems for planting in tanks and cooking.
                  Please check out:

Forum Rules

Comment

Working...
                  X