Dry start/emmersed?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry start/emmersed?

My terminology is prolly way off, anywho, I was thinking about what to do with my 29 gal future riparium (while I waited to build or find a new stand for it) and it hit me I should try emersed plants first so they have a chance to grow a bit, and I'm not playing catch up. However, I know it's not uncommon for plants grown emersed to melt once submerged or the conditions (namely light) change. So how would I do this? SHOULD I do this? am I completely wrong about emersed/submersed plants (am I even calling it right?!?)

I'm still figuring out the stock and equipment and everything else for this tank. The only plant I'm definitely keeping are my hygrophila's (brown and MAYBE the wisteria) and the red bamboo maybe a carpeting plant if I can find a tiny Asian/Indian one. The L. Aromatica isn't doing well in the 40 so I'm not predicting to make it to the 29
    Last edited by Ziggi; 05-07-2013, 05:24 PM. Reason: Typo? I cant spell anymore!

only some plants really take a hit, others do just fine with minimal issues. All depends on what your looking to have really.
    -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
    If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
    Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

I think doing the DSM (Dry Start Method) tank is a fantastic idea, it allows your plants to establish their roots and gives you time to decide what stock you want in your tank.

Pearl Grass (Hemianthus micranthemoides) or Dwarf Baby Tears (hemianthus callitrichoides) would look great as a carpet plant.
      Please check out:

Forum Rules

Information about Duplicate Posts

Warnings, Infractions and Bannings

Comment

never heard of the pearl grass. I'll look into it! Sooo, I'm looking up info on the DSM? ...any pointers? (I'm prolly over thinking this)
        can I just put in my substrate (thinking ecocomplete) and add enough water to cover that, then plant, aaaand.... cover? or mist regularly? (I dont have a fogger)

Comment

You don't need a fogger. You can use a spray bottle to mist your plants and use a syran wrap as a cover if you don't have a lid to keep the humidity.

I would only add enough water to keep the substrate wet. You don't want any standing pools of water in your tank or you have algae growing on the substrate. I learned that the hard way in my DSM.

Chevyguy has a DSM tank.
          Last edited by NorthStar; 05-07-2013, 08:55 PM.
          Please check out:

Forum Rules

Comment

OK, and when it's ready to be filled, I can just fill it up (gently) right?

Comment

Yes Mam.
              Please check out:

Forum Rules

Comment

Working...
              X