Apono Deficiencies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apono Deficiencies

I'm having a bit of trouble with my apono boivianus. There are brown holes in it. Any one have any ideas of what type of deficiency this is?

Re: Apono Deficiencies

I believe that's potassium deficiency.... not positive though. Or maybe Magnesium. Dena probably knows.
    -Jonathan

Comment

I guess I'll raise my dosage of K2SO4 to 1/8 tsp. 3x a week then. I'll also insert a clay root ball with K2SO4 around its roots. I'll see if it perks up.

Comment

How long have you had this plant? Is it only a leaf or two or the entire plant?

That large patch in the last pix looks like damage from a pleco or other suckermouth.

Potassium deficiency starts out as tiny pinholes. Then, turn yellow brown as the leaf dies and the holes grow. It begins on the older leaves, but as the deficiency increases the new growth can be affected.

Magnesium deficiency is often confused with iron deficiency as the leaves often turn yellow. But this can easily be explained by the fact that in the absence of magnesium plants are unable to uptake iron. So, one deficiency causes another. If magnesium is the issue there would be yellow patches, where Iron deficiency the entire leaf turns yellow. Also, magnesium only affects old leaves and iron deficiency affects the entire plant.

If only a leaf or two, cut them off and monitor for additional signs of deficiency. Make sure you stick with the fert dosages so there is no shortage.
        - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
        Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
        Socrates

Comment

Thanks for the reply Dena.

I've had this plant since Black Friday, so about 3 weeks. This is effecting the whole plant.

There are no plecos or suckermouths in this tank. Could it have possibly been from MTS?

Comment

Maybe? I'm not sure.

Place a root tab near the apono and see if it makes any difference.
            - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
            Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
            Socrates

Comment

I highly doubt it is the MTS. I've only ever known them to eat detritus.
              -Jonathan

Comment

I agree doesnt sound like an MTS to me, def some type of dossage need for the plant thou.
                -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
                If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
                Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
                Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

Interesting. It doesn't have the yellow patches like my Dwarf Sags did nor did my Sags have holes like that. Doesn't seem like Magnesium Deficiency. But there's slight green veins. I'm wondering if its K and Mg? But like said one thing can lead to another. The joys of a planted tank.

Personally, I'd increase K2SO4, insert root tab and dose some Epsom Salts.

Is the plant producing new leaves? Or growing?
                  Christine

Comment

It is producing a few new leaves but the new leaves are deformed. I'll dose some K2SO4 today. How much epsom salts should I dose? Should they be dosed on micro day?

Comment

Originally posted by QQQUUUUAADDD
                      It is producing a few new leaves but the new leaves are deformed. I'll dose some K2SO4 today. How much epsom salts should I dose? Should they be dosed on micro day?
                      I'd do 1 tsp with Micros, yes. You can even dose just 2x week. I only dose it 2x week.

Increasing your Micros wouldn't hurt either. Covering all the basis.

Are you doing any sort of CO2?
                      Christine

Comment

No. Before I was doing DIY but it didn't really work for me. I'm getting a Fugeray for Christmas so I won't need CO2. Pressurized is expensive.

Comment

Working...
                        X