Hibernating Question?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hibernating Question?

Does anyone know if you have to hibernate Nymphaea rubra dwarf lily bulb? or do you just trim?

Re: Hibernating Question?

Whenever I hibernate bulbs I cut off all the leaves and roots, take the bulb and place it in a bag of water, put the bag into a styrofoam cooler, and put that under the tank. As long as the water stays cool the bulb should be alright.
    -Jonathan

Comment

Originally posted by RogueAgent94
      Whenever I hibernate bulbs I cut off all the leaves and roots, take the bulb and place it in a bag of water, put the bag into a styrofoam cooler, and put that under the tank. As long as the water stays cool the bulb should be alright.

Do Nymphaea rubra dwarf lily bulb need to hibernate? Or do they grow year round?

Comment

My lilies had to hibernate but they were giant lilies, not dwarfs. I'd assume they needed to hibernate but I'm not sure.

There is also a the mud method of hibernating if you were looking for a different method .
        -Jonathan

Comment

Originally posted by RogueAgent94
          My lilies had to hibernate but they were giant lilies, not dwarfs. I'd assume they needed to hibernate but I'm not sure.

There is also a the mud method of hibernating if you were looking for a different method .
          Please share what the mud method is?

Also, can I just trim the roots and leaves and place in brown paper bag and store in the closet like I do my Tulip bulbs?

Comment

You don't want to dry the bulb out. I never got good growth until the plant was established if I dried the bulbs.

Mud method is when you take a terracotta pot and put a layer of sand, gravel, or plastic on the bottom to seal off the hole. Then put mud into the pot (any kind of soil really. I used soil that is used to make dirted tanks). Add enough water to make the soil into mud, cut the leaves and roots off, place bulb in the middle of the mud with about an inch over it, and cap mud with a good layer of sand or gravel. Then put the pot in some kind of container (I use styrofoam coolers) and keep it in a cool, dark place. If you use something like a styrofoam cooler you don't need to keep it in the dark because the lid of the styrofoam cooler shuts out all light. Then when you're ready to grow it again take the pot out, clean the outside, and place into the tank. The warmth of the tank will trigger growth and the bulb will grow up out the sand. The mud acts as a source of fertilizer for the plant. Then next time you need to hibernate just take the pot out and cut all the leaves off. Only problem with this method is it makes a mess when you try to frag the bulb.
            -Jonathan

Comment

Working...
            X