DHG Emersed?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DHG Emersed?

Anyone heard of Dwarf Hair Grass being grown emersed before?
    -Jonathan

Yep, it does really well too with growing wherever it wants to lol. From what I have read, but have not tried, its leaves aren't different between emersed vs submerged, so it should transition easily. I have eleocharis parvula growing all over with the HC in my 5 gallon DSM tank. It took a little while to really get going, but it now grows like a weed.

Comment

Excellent! I'm trying to figure out how to plant my 3g. I want to have some hairgrass in the back with a red plant in a corner. I was thinking either microswords or hairgrass but I wasn't sure. I want to grow HC as my main carpeting plant in the foreground.

Now I just need to find dirt to buy. How hard was it to mineralize miracle grow?
      -Jonathan

Comment

Sounds like a good plan, and would be a nice contrast too. I started mine in one corner of the tank and is now at the other end growing up by the anubias. Microswords would probably be more manageable, and if you could find the mini species it wouldn't be as overpowering with its size. Same goes for the DHG, E. belem and E. japan only get to be an inch or two tall, but are harder to find. Ranalisma rostrata is another to propagate by runners that supposedly stays short, but I'm not sure how it would do emersed. If you are planning to have the grass growing tall for a mid to background plant, then ignore most of that .

I didn't mineralize the miracle gro for that tank, since the decomposition of it during the dry start time is supposed to be enough. I would think mineralizing it would probably work out better for the long run though.

Last edited by catsma_97504; 01-26-2013, 01:33 PM. Reason: Changed font color as the light gray was difficult to see/read

Comment

Lol I'm not sure how tall I want them to grow. I know I want the grass in the back where it'll be taller than the HC and give the tank some depth. I was considering getting E.japan for most of the back and then some E. parvula for around the red plant in the corner. Just to contrast in height a bit. But who knows what I'll end up doing.

Really? Hm... I think I would want to mineralize it. I've always been iffy with dirted tanks lol. How do you plant things like HC and DHG in dirted tanks? All the dirted tanks I've set up had an inch cap of sand over the dirt and then I just used tweezers to plant crypts and swords. Never tried a carpeting plant in dirted tanks.
          -Jonathan

Comment

Well, whatever you end up doing will probably look really nice, so I will be waiting to see it come together.

Yeah, my DSM tank is probably not the best model for what should be done lol. Between the gravel cap and not mineralizing the soil it will probably make for an interesting time when I fill it. The roots on the HC and DHG are very deep though and there hasn't been any signs of deficiencies since starting it 2-3 months ago. Both the HC and DHG were planted as small plugs into the gravel in the general area I wanted to carpet, and I just let the roots get to the soil on their own. I just don't plan on uprooting anything once its filled though lol. I haven't had any luck planting HC in a tank that is filled because of the short roots.

Comment

Haha I hope it looks nice but I'd be okay with just looking alright lol. As long as the plants grow I'm happy.

I see. I might have to try my tweezer method with them as well.

Have you ever used FloraMax before? I saw it at PetSmart yesterday and figured I might be able to use that instead of dirt.
              -Jonathan

Comment

I used Organic Miracle Grow, the one without ferts, for my dirted tank. I never mineralized it. Went straight from bag. Got it wet and skimmed off the floating debris. Then transferred to the tank. And did a ton of water changes! Immediately added plants, but waited a month to add inhabitants.
                - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
                Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
                Socrates

Comment

I have floramax in my refugium and eco complete in the display, and both seem to be fine for plants and holding them in place. The floramax was definitely really dusty even though it says that it doesn't need rinsing, but the eco complete was better in that aspect. The only thing with rinsing it seems there is a possibility that the nutrients it may or may not have get rinsed away. On the other hand you could probably soak the floramax in a bucket of water with an airstone and fertilizers to make use of the high CEC. That way you have a nutrient rich substrate that is clean when you use it. I don't know how long to do it for since I haven't tried it. It seems fairly popular to do to safe-t-sorb before putting it in an aquarium. Either way, I think it woud work well for what you are doing.

Also, I think the floramax is on sale for $12 for 12 pounds at petsmart, and the eco complete may still be on sale online at petco for $17 +shipping for a 20 lb bag. It seems petco stores may have eco-complete on clearance for $9 for the 20 lb bag, or so I have read on another forum.

Comment

Thanks! One of the reasons I didn't get eco-complete or floramax was because I was unsure about the rinsing. My first instinct with substrate is to wash it really well but I was afraid of the nutrients being stripped out. I was planning to cap the dirt with eco-complete in this tank.
                    -Jonathan

Comment

Re: DHG Emersed?

Originally posted by RogueAgent94 View Post
                      Anyone heard of Dwarf Hair Grass being grown emersed before?
                      Yes. Grows rapidly when grown emersed. I've done both mineralized topsoil and straight out of the bag.

If you are going to carpet with DHG then capping is not necesaary. The DHG will act as the cap.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
                      Last edited by AmazonPassion; 01-26-2013, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the input CJ! Have any pictures I could take a look at?

I'm gonna cap it because I intend to have other plants as well that won't cover the soil as well as DHG.
                        -Jonathan

Comment

Re: DHG Emersed?

Mine burnt out and tossed it. I was growing outside in a 10 gallon during the summer.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Working...
                          X