Plant package arrived today

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plant package arrived today

Well actually an Aponogeton bulb package. They sent extras. My original order was:

2 A. Capuronii
    1 A. Ulvaceous
    1 A. Boivinianus
    1 A. Madagascariensis
    2 A. Longiplumosus

Instead I received

2 Cap.
    3 Ulvaceous
    3 Boivin.
    1 Mada.
    3 Long.

and they threw some root tabs. I'm going to grow them in stages. Crossing my fingers that they will all sprout. The Aponos are part of my redesign for this spring.

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1359596781775.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	141529

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Plant package arrived today

Nice! Will these all be going in your 100g?

Comment

Gah, I love apons! I had one of the twisty ones (we never did figure out exactly what it was) and all the dang leaves fell off when I moved home from school, and I've been fighting to grow the stupid thing back for ever... For now I'm stuck with bulbs from the store lol

Comment

Nice AP! May I ask what your secrets are to growing healthy aponos? Mine just doesn't seem to grow well. And where'd ya get 'em?

Comment

Originally posted by dlondon95 View Post
          Nice! Will these all be going in your 100g?
          Yeah, I'm going to try to fit them in all in the 100g

Originally posted by Akari_32 View Post
          Gah, I love apons! I had one of the twisty ones (we never did figure out exactly what it was) and all the dang leaves fell off when I moved home from school, and I've been fighting to grow the stupid thing back for ever... For now I'm stuck with bulbs from the store lol
          Me too. I think it might of went into dormancy. From what I read, some people had incidents where their bulbs would go dormant for 5 months.

Originally posted by QQQUUUUAADDD View Post
          Nice AP! May I ask what your secrets are to growing healthy aponos? Mine just doesn't seem to grow well. And where'd ya get 'em?
          I don't have any secrets, I think I just got lucky with the last set of Aponos that I force hibernated. I think having a dirted tank helps.

I'm going to put some of the bulbs in the smallest terra cotta pot that i can find and cut the bottom of them so that the roots can grow into my dirted bottom and fill the pots with sand. I forget which variety prefers a low organic substrate. I will be covering the pots with Anubias. Well that is my concept so you can't see the pots.

I got these bulbs from SubstrateSource.com for $3 a piece.

Comment

How do you undormant them?? I really loved it, but now it's forever just a little sprout.

Comment

Little off but i actually have an A. Crispus! It was just a little sprout I mistaked for an onion plant when i stole it from my brother (I was new to plants) he had it for 2 years and it never grew more than 3 leaves... after i put it under my high light 26g the thing was started to split itself
              2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
              2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
              1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
              40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
              "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

Nice order! A. Ulvaceous are my favorites.
                -Jonathan

Comment

How do you undormant them?? I really loved it, but now it's forever just a little sprout.
                  I'm no expert, but I think it will start to grow when it wants. I've read some people put their bulbs in a separate tank with ferts to kick start the process. I'm still debating which method I would use.

Originally posted by Sean View Post
                  Little off but i actually have an A. Crispus! It was just a little sprout I mistaked for an onion plant when i stole it from my brother (I was new to plants) he had it for 2 years and it never grew more than 3 leaves... after i put it under my high light 26g the thing was started to split itself
                  Pictures

Comment

Mine just begins to grow on its own while it is being kept in the dark. After a certain point I give up trying to keep it dormant and stick it in the tank. If a bulb hasn't started growing on its own in the hibernation stage then you can reintroduce it to your tank and the warm water + the light will jump start its growing .
                    -Jonathan

Comment

Re: Plant package arrived today

I opened up the A. Madagascariensis and placed it in the nursery box in the main tank to sprout it. It floated but an hour later it has sunk.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
                      Last edited by AmazonPassion; 01-31-2013, 06:36 PM.

Comment

That's a big bulb!
                        -Jonathan

Comment

Dang that's a chunky bulb!

Comment

It looks like it can split into three bulbs huh? I had the same thought.

Comment

Once it grows I'm sure it will split on all its own.
                              -Jonathan

Comment

Working...
                              X