Yellowing, curling, and some green algae

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yellowing, curling, and some green algae

My plants have been growing steadily and quickly since I introduced co2 and started a more aggressive fertilization schedule. I'm still noticing some things that aren't right with some of the new growth and some of the established leaves. I've circled a couple spots in the pick below where the leaves are kind of curled and a few where the edges are yellowing. You can also see some green algae growing on a few of the older leaves and it's also taking up residence on the glass all though it's growth is slow. When you plug in the curling, yellowing and algae bloom into the Aquarium Tools aquarium diagnoser it brings up potassium deficiency. Has anyone delt with this before? Can anyone confirm the diagnosis of the aqua tools site? Can anyone tell me of a way to increase potassium levels without purchasing a potassium supplement like Seachem Flourish Potassium?
    Attached Files
    8 GloFish
    6 Glowlight Tetra
    1 Dwarf Gourami
    4 Mystery Snail

I dont know what you are using for fertilizers but one of mine is potassium nitrate that I dose. would be KNO3, what are you using for fertz?
    -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
    If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
    Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

right now I'm using flourish which has quite a few different elements in it. It does not have any potassium in it however. Here's a better pic of the curling leaves too.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by soarl; 02-09-2013, 09:21 AM. Reason: Addid additional photo
      8 GloFish
      6 Glowlight Tetra
      1 Dwarf Gourami
      4 Mystery Snail

Comment

If you wouldn't mind completing your aquarium details on your profile it would be most helpful. Key things are lighting, ferts used including root ferts and current parameters.

I completely disagree with that website's diagnosis. Potassium deficiency causes pinholes. Green Spot Algae is caused by phosphate deficiency. Yellowing is caused by iron or magnesium deficiency as well as inadequate lighting (too little or wrong spectrum). And the list goes on. I will have to grab my laptop and see what the common causes are for curling leaves.

While Flourish has many compounds it greatly lacks balance. The product line requires all components for balance in a high tech tank. And does not work for everyone. Dry ferts allow for customization to meet the tank's specific needs.
        - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
        Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
        Socrates

Comment

Are they the new or old leaves curly?

Comment

Ok...updated my profile...Whew that took a min.

It's the new leaves that seem to be curling the most. I'm not really noticing on the older leaves. It also only appears to be the Compact Corymbosa that is affected by the curling. I do have the spot algae on almost everything except for the cardinal plant, red ludwigia and the tall plant who's name is escaping me now...lol...I'll figure it out.
            8 GloFish
            6 Glowlight Tetra
            1 Dwarf Gourami
            4 Mystery Snail

Comment

With your lighting you have moderately high to high light. So, I can see that over time all these issues have started to creep up.

Problem: GSA
              Cause: Low phosphates and sometimes low CO2

Problem: Yellowing veins and leaf flesh
              Cause: Low magnesium and sometimes low iron

Problem: Curling new leaves
              Cause: Low calcium and sometimes early sign of low potassium

When was the last time you used substrate ferts? I recommend adding API Root Ferts and placing a tablet near each plant, so long as tablets are at least 6 inches apart. These ferts contain many of the micro nutrients you tank appears to be craving.

Any idea how much CO2 is in the water? If not, take a pH reading. Then scoop out some tank water and let it sit for a day or two, aerating if possible. Then, take a pH reading of this sample tank water. The variance between pH readings will help us to determine if your tank has enough CO2 or not. With the symptoms, I'd suspect there is not enough.

If you intend to continue with the Flourish product line, then you are going to need to purchase Potassium, Phosphate, Iron and will need to increase the amount of Comprehensive used to up the micros. You do not want to increase nitrate as you are already at the top of where you want to be. It is far cheaper and much easier to balance ferts when working with dry compounds and not trying to adjust premixed products.

The root of the problem is an imbalance in ferts and possibly low CO2 for your lighting. Also, your profile indicates you have an actinic light. This type of light is used to grow algae. You may want to try not using this light at all; and cutting your photo period back to 6 hours. See if less light will reduce the demand on nutrients while you work on balancing them.
              - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

Dena is the fertilizer master on here, she does have in pinned down. I would give it a shot with what she thinks might help. Heck she convinced me to go dry fertz and my plants were looking great until I messed up.
                -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
                If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
                Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
                Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

I've heard that about the blue light...I should probably put one of the old bulbs back in it's place but it does make my dwarf gourami look pretty sweet! I was hoping to get a good enough balance to be able to use it but i think it's beyond me at this juncture.

I am currently using only the flourish but I do take a siringe and inject some of the mix directly into the substrate. It did seem to dramatically impact the over all health and growth of the plants.

You actually had helped me with my Co2 in an older thread ( thanks btw ) i'm right around the 25ppm neighborhood.

My light's are currently on for an 8 hour period. Do you think that I need to adjust this if I pull that actinic bulb out?
                  8 GloFish
                  6 Glowlight Tetra
                  1 Dwarf Gourami
                  4 Mystery Snail

Comment

Make small changes or you'll never know which change had an effect.

Definitely stop using the actinic light; or replace it with something in the daylight range. Not sure how old the tubes are but standard fluorescent should be replaced every 6-9 months. Old bulbs change the produced light and can cause algae too.

You can cut back your lighting. Try 6 hours a day for a week and see how that goes.

CO2 target levels are 25-30 ppm. So, sounds like you are there. This could be crossed off the list as a possible issue.

While shooting Comprehensive into the substrate appears to have helped the problem remains that it is not a balanced product. The extra micros in the API Root Tabs are much needed for your tank.
                    - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

I will definitely give the root tabs a try. Looking at the list of ingredients for the flourish it is lacking quite a few things. I will also pull out the actinic light before my light's kick on tomorrow. We'll see how those couple of things help out. The bulb I have isn't to old. I had only been using it for about a month before I put the actinic in. Thanks for the tips!
                      8 GloFish
                      6 Glowlight Tetra
                      1 Dwarf Gourami
                      4 Mystery Snail

Comment

After a week or two, if things aren't improving then it will be time to do something else. It's all about trial and error.
                        - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

Your tank is very nice. it will be back on track in a few weeks or more. You will be surprised by just making a few changes and getting all the neccessary nutrients makes a huge difference. Then you will have problems of a happy tank!

Look forward to hearing how things are going.
                          Christine

Comment

Originally posted by AlyeskaGirl View Post
                            Your tank is very nice. it will be back on track in a few weeks or more. You will be surprised by just making a few changes and getting all the neccessary nutrients makes a huge difference. Then you will have problems of a happy tank!

Look forward to hearing how things are going.
                            Thanks, It's definitely getting to where I want it to be. Now it's more of a fine tuning process. I'll update once in a while to keep you all posted!
                            8 GloFish
                            6 Glowlight Tetra
                            1 Dwarf Gourami
                            4 Mystery Snail

Comment

So it's been a minute or two since i've updated this thread. My plants are doing quite well but i've still been battling algae in my tank. I only recently (about 4 days ago) was able to get a 40 count bag of root tabs and introduce them to my tank. I've also began dosing some of the macro-nutes as well. I don't have the schedule/dose down to a science yet but I'm working through it. I'll take some new pics and post once my light is on for the day. I have had some amazing growth over the last month!
                              8 GloFish
                              6 Glowlight Tetra
                              1 Dwarf Gourami
                              4 Mystery Snail

Comment

Working...
                              X