Amazon vs Argentine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amazon vs Argentine

I have both Amazon and Argentine swords, but I couldn't tell you which is which. Any ideas?

I believe the difference is in the height and in the leaf shape. Can you post pictures of bot plants?
    - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
    Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
    Socrates

Comment

Tomorrow I will. All my swords looks exactly the same. I have several of each. I bought one of each kind and then pulled the plants apart. Both kinds have long, narrow leaves.

Comment

Just tossing this out there.....but.....

if all the plants look exactly the same how do you know you have 2 varieties?
        - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

Because i bought them at two different times. And the argentine swords used to have rounded leaves that made it look like a Mellon sword. The amazon never changed leaf shape. They are both tube plants from Petsmart.

*Edit*

Here are some pics. Two of each kind is my guess. The second two plants are growing more bunchy. I had to strip a lot of leaves off couple them months ago because someone in the tank was munching on them.

The lighting sucks on the 20 long, do the last two pics aren't the greatest. They (GE) changed my lights on me
          Last edited by Akari_32; 02-10-2013, 09:25 AM.

Comment

The second two look more like the amazon swords that I have so I would have to assume the first two are the other plant.
            -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
            If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
            Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
            Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

You may be right. I should try and strip the leaves off one of the first two plants and see if it would grow like the second two plants do.

Comment

I'd be willing to bet the first two are the real Amazon Swords. They look just like the ones I have growing in my tank.
                Last edited by RogueAgent94; 02-11-2013, 08:15 PM.
                -Jonathan

Comment

So far the votes are one and one XD The plants look exactly the same other than how they are growing. The leaves look the same (same shape, length, and vein structure). Just the two plants I had to strip so many leaves off started growing nice and thick, but stayed short.

Comment

They are far too close to tell now. They all look like Amazon Swords to me.
                    - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

They look the same to me too lol do you have pics of both Dena, or do you just have amazons?

Comment

I only have Amazon and Ozelot.
                        - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

1st pic is Argentine Sword and the last three pics are Amazon swords.

Comment

Originally posted by AmazonPassion View Post
                            1st pic is Argentine Sword and the last three pics are Amazon swords.
                            And what makes you say that?

Originally posted by catsma_97504 View Post
                            I only have Amazon and Ozelot.
                            Oh ok, never mind then lol

So heres an Argentine, according to Google:

http://golden-library.com/images/pro...m%20plant_.jpg

Tried to get a pic of an Amazon, but the new Google Image is being stupid. Anyways, Amazons just look fuller, like the last two plants pictured, and the argentines are more spindly, like the first two....
                            Last edited by AlyeskaGirl; 02-12-2013, 01:00 PM. Reason: Merged back to back posts, please use the edit button for additional information. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                            X