Volcano Shrimp (Opae Ula) Setup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volcano Shrimp (Opae Ula) Setup

so a member on FL got some Volcano Shrimp not to long ago and we chatted a bit and she may send me some once they start breeding... but I am not good at waiting lol... so last night i went to walmart and bought a 10g kit! I also bought a can of great stuff big cap filler (is this one the one everybody uses?) today I went to home depot and bought some lava rocks for $4.50 for 7lbs (my LPS charges $3.99/lb)

tonight I plan to start doing the lava rack wall after I get off work! and mixing the water once its setup (so not for a while)

now some quick questions... to silicone the wall to the glass what kind should/can i use? I am not sure my LPS have aquarium silicone (though I haven't checked petsmart)
    was the great stuff big gap filler the right one?

how much salt mix do i use for 10g to make it brackish (1.008-1.015 is ideal for their breeding)
    2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
    2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
    1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
    40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
    "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

I can't help with the salt ratios, but as far as silicone goes, you can use pure 100% silicone from the hardware store. Just make sure it has no additives and no mold retardants. You don't need to pay the high price for "aquarium" silicone.
    - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
    Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
    Socrates

Comment

okay awesome how long does it take to cure?
      2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
      "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

I give it 3 days to dry/cure; then drop into a bucket of water or fill tank for a week. This is how I resealed my 125G tank.
        - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
        Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
        Socrates

Comment

well I planned to let the rocking cure on the egg crate stuff then after thats done seal it in the tank and let that cure then fill the tank! Thanks Dena!

I found this about adding salt to make a tank brackish (they were talking about canverting a cycled freshwater to brackish for puffers...
          "It depends on the salt you have... I use Instant Ocean and it seem fairly consistent... Anyways, with that it takes 1 tablespoon per gallon to get a specific gravity of 1.003 ... i.e. 1 teaspoon of instant ocean per gallon for roughly .001 increase... so 2 teaspoons per gallon of the total volume of the tank + replace the removed salt would take it up gradually. Higher math and all it gets complicated. With a good way of measuring it you can take all the guess work out of it.

I use a refractometer ($45 from drfosterandsmith.com) because they are very accurate at small intervals.

NOTE: this is with Instant Ocean marine salt, other brands and other varieties are different and there is a even a small amount of variation per bag."

Does this sound about right for the tank? if so I think maybe 3 tablespoons per gallon should get me to about 1.012...
          Last edited by RogueAgent94; 03-16-2013, 02:34 PM. Reason: Merged posts.
          2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

Why use silicone to make the rock feature? I would use Epoxy instead cause it would blend in with the rock.

Yes, those calculations sound correct for Instant Ocean.
            -Jonathan

Comment

No I plan to use great stuff for the rocking and silicone to attach it to the glass... It will make more sense when I actually start this tonight and I take pictures...
              2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

Now I'm confused... lol.
                -Jonathan

Comment

On fl made a guide to show how to make a liverock wall for saltwater like his tank... That's what I'm doing here... Check out his guide
                  Last edited by AlyeskaGirl; 05-11-2013, 05:59 PM.
                  2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

Oh. Well I expect step by step procedure pictures and explanations!
                    -Jonathan

Comment

Dully noted sir
                      2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

Me too and lots and lots of pictures
                        Never underestimate the power of a smile

Comment

Haha well the garage is like 20*... Would it be safe to do this in my room or the kitchen or would fumes make this a bad idea
                          2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

Best not to do it inside IMO.
                            -Jonathan

Comment

yeah that's what I thought so i did it in the garage

I am planning to spray paint the three sides black to hid the silicone knob lol... Should I spray paint it before I add the walls or after? Mom wants me to wait til Tuesday so I can do it outside in nicer weather but I really want to get it done sooner...

I gave up... Decided to silicone the walls in place and Tuesday paint should give it enough time to cure (2days?) Can't wait til this is done lol
                              Last edited by AlyeskaGirl; 05-11-2013, 06:00 PM. Reason: Merged posts
                              2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

Working...
                              X