Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I figure out the salt to water ratio?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question: How do I figure out the salt to water ratio?

I see ratios of salt to water, how do I know what my salt to water ratio is for my tank?
    Using Tapatalk

Re: How do I figure out the salt to water ratio?

Are you trying to figure out the salinity of your brackish tank? If so, then you would need a Salinity Refractometer to figure out the salinity.
    Please check out:

Forum Rules

Information about Duplicate Posts

Warnings, Infractions and Bannings

Comment

Yes haha. That's what I meant ^_^ I heard that some fish like it brackish which i read is about twenty percent salt water, and I didn't know how to figure out how much salt to put in.
      Using Tapatalk

Comment

What fish are you talking about? I've read that mollies and platies like brackish water (I think Petsmart labels say they require it), but nearly everyone keeps them in freshwater. I had platies in freshwater and they did just fine I find that claim odd to be honest, I'm pretty sure Akari has mentioned seeing wild mollies in Florida, in assumably freshwater streams.

Of course there are fish where brackish water is more important; there are these cool diamond-shaped fish that I'm totally blanking on the name of, and they are a brackish species.

Comment

Originally posted by BariSaxy View Post
          Yes haha. That's what I meant ^_^ I heard that some fish like it brackish which i read is about twenty percent salt water, and I didn't know how to figure out how much salt to put in.
          Depending of the specie of fish you have will determine if you really need a brackish environment. If you had mollies, swordtails, and platies then I suggest just using freshwater. Most likely the fish you bought from the petstores have already been raised/bred/borned in complete freshwater environment.
          Please check out:

Forum Rules

Comment

I have mollies and guppies. They were really sick for awhile. One of my mollies had really bad pop eye and none of them were eating very well. The tank had a really bad ich infestation too. I just picked up fish keeping or whatever you call it, and I didn't think about checking the fish for any problems before I bought them. Never making that mistake again haha. Anyways, as soon as I added salt my molly's popeye went away and the ich started to go away. They are healthy and happy now. I guess my mollies and guppies just really like having salt
            Using Tapatalk

Comment

Well there's a difference between treating with salt and living in brackish water A lot of people like using salt to treat for certain diseases (I've never done so myself), whereas incorporating brackishness into their lives would involve acclimating them to saltier water permanently. Also there are different salts to use; Epsom salts for medication purposes vs salt for making the water more saline (SW tanks, etc).

That's the tough part about jumping into aquaria, there's a lot to learn right away! Most people don't start off on the right foot, and stumble upon websites like this one when things start going south

Comment

Yeah, I only tried stuff when I read multiple places that it was okay to do. And I add salt whenever I do water changes and clean my tanks, so they are living permanently in water with some salt in it.
                Using Tapatalk

Comment

Just remember and you probably you know this already but there is a difference between table salt, aquarium salt, and marine salt

Also, don't forget to start a thread in "Tank Journals" and post pictures of your tank
                  Please check out:

Forum Rules

Comment

I do! Lol I researched that quite a bit, because someone told me a horrible salt story. And I know only to add salt when I be taken water out because salt doesn't evaporate! Haha thank you though. :P
                    Using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BariSaxy View Post
                      I do! Lol I researched that quite a bit, because someone told me a horrible salt story. And I know only to add salt when I be taken water out because salt doesn't evaporate! Haha thank you though. :P
                      Yeah, I've had that happened to me before when I first started and used regular table salt because I followed the employee at an LFS suggestion
                      Please check out:

Forum Rules

Comment

I don't trust LFS employees anymore really. Ill listen to their recomendation then do my own research to see if its reliable. Too much bad advice was given to me.
                        Using Tapatalk

Comment

That's great that you do your own research.

I see you understand the importance of not adding salt randomly. But do you also understand that water evaporates and concentrates the salt? Unless you are working with a true saltwater or a brackish tank it is not wise to continually add salts. Now that your fish are healthy I would start backing off on the salt before it builds up too much.

Did you know that mollies and guppies can innerbreed? Not good to house them together.
                          - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
                          Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
                          Socrates

Comment

I knew that Mollie and guppies could breed with each others different varieties, but not with each others species....
                            And that's why I'm not adding anymore. I understand that when water evaporates it concentrates the salt, but my tank doesn't lose too much water that way. I watch it pretty closely and add some more every other day or so.
                            Using Tapatalk

Comment

Yup, mollies and guppes can breed to make "muppies," and platies and swords can interbreed as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X