This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fiddler crab need to know...

Okay so when we went to petropics yesterday to get live rock we saw the sweetest fiddler crab setup! And instantly my mom starter walking the fish section picking out things that would look cool in a crab tank... so being the nice son I am I ask her if she would like me to set her up a crab tank like the one here.... she said no then said oh this half moon tank would be a perfect crab tank.... so needless to say I will be setting her up a crab tank... (I still live with mom so mantanince and such will fall on me which I am okay with)

Anyways I have never kept a crab and need to know whatever I can about them... I know they are semiaquatic and will climb cords to escape... and see gardeners lol.. anyways here is the plan...

I am going to find a corner bowfront tank.... hopefully 20+g and get a few pieces of dead rock (this is what the land part was made up of for the crabs) with a small power head aiming water onto it like a waterfall... I will get a picture/vid of it when I visit this petshop again (I will be turning in an application to work there so you know it meets my standard and my brothers!*)

Anyways what is campatable with crabs fish wise/invert wise... if it becomes food I am okay with that so maybe a few guppies? How much water will they need? Temp in and above water? Advice on anything and everything is welcome!

* my brother has super high standards on keeping animals and fish in specific and these people met his standards in full plus their fish room doesn't smell like mold like my lfs (the one I am applying to is like a 20-30 minute drive and the one near me is a 2 minute drive... so you can see how sad that is I would prefer driving farther away to pick up my aquatic supplies... and get a job xD
    2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
    2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
    1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
    40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
    "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Re: fiddler crab need to know...

Do some research. Fiddler Crabs are saltwater species. They will die a slow death in a freshwater setup.
    - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
    Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
    Socrates

Comment

okay so we found a tank (yes found) it was sitting across the street and my brother drove by and brought it in haha... anyways the tank is a pentagon shape and, we believe, is a 40g... 36 1/2"(l)x16"(h)x15 1/2"(w)... okay so the tank has a bunch of just in it and i am cleaning it out now... the black rocking though cool has dead fish inside the gravel, sad and gross, female guppy is the only one I can make out clearly... anyways after a nice hardcore cleaning I have some questions...

1. When i mix the sea salt in this how much per gallon should be added to make it brackish... assuming it is filled about half way, 20g.
      2. Does it need to be ro/di like with saltwater or can I use tap with prime?
      3. How many could I add for a tank this big? Mom really likes the males so I would like to have maybe a 1:1 ratio if possible...
      4. I would love to add fish eventually... what kind of fish are brakish water safe? And if eaten I won't be upset?
      5. Can I add nerites and ghost shrimp as a helper clean up crew?
      2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
      "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

Congrats on the new tank. You should make your sand island and such before putting water in it. And yes, you should use RODI water. Hm... for a three foot tank I would say you should have at least a one foot island so you could have three males possibly. You want more females than males. Fish are an iffy subject with crabs. Sometimes they live sometimes they don't. Crabs are opportunistic feeder so if they're able to catch a fish they will. Snails aren't a good idea but shrimp will be fine. As for mixing the salt, I'd add half a dose of salt. So if you put half a cup of salt per gallon to get SW you should add 1/4 to try and get brackish. Course you should use your hydrometer to check it.
        -Jonathan

Comment

thanks haha like mom said free is good! So great timing... I just have to worry about leaking right now... just got all the rock out (omg gross doesn't cover it) and I got 3 of the 6 walls cleaned :-) so just need to finish cleaning up the gunk from the bottom then leak test... we don't plan to get the crabs yet until we get a replacement light (ever heard of a brand called perfecto?) And a decent heater it has a 100w one so no wonder their fish also died :/
          2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

Moving thread to the Brackish Forums.
            - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

So... where are the pictures lol? I've never heard of a 40g hex. I don't particularly like hex tanks except with they are shallow so you can make tidepools in them lol.
              -Jonathan

Comment

the pictures will be posted once dad gets off the computer haha... this site won't let me post picks from my tablet but will if I email them to the desktop :/ I just finished cleaning the tank and scraping off the hard water spots... once I clean the tank with some kind of cleaning solution that is fish safe (I want to avoid bleach) I am about to fill it halfway (to about where we want the water level) and check for leaks... also need to wash the sand off the hood (which makes me laugh as there is only sand on the hood but not in the tank itself xD but yeah I will post a few pics once dads done of Facebook xD
                2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

Hahahaha I find it funny that your dad is on facebook. My parents wouldn't go near it lol.

I use bleach. I just have to let the stuff dry out first. Instead of bleach you could use vinegar.
                  -Jonathan

Comment

he is 56 (I think born in '56 and to lazy to count haha) he mostly gets on to stalk people haha but other the that he is technology stupid...

How long will the tank need to dry for if i was to use bleach and what would the solution be made up of (like 1 part bleach to 2-3 parts water?) What about if I used vinegar?
                    2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

alright so here are the 3 pics... before and after plus how it sits now... dad wants it left that way til we know for sure it,s not leaking... so far I don't think it will
                      2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

Wow, very nice! You got a stand and everything with it eh?
                        -Jonathan

Comment

yeah stand was made for it from the looks of it... we are going to replace the back before setting it up all the way to have more support I am tossing out everything it came with though (besides the fact the filter was busted) I mean i found dead fish in the gravel so god only knows what is on that other stuff...
                          2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

Amazing how well that tank cleaned up. Excellent find!

Don't blame you for tossing everything. Best to start fresh.

I would use bleach to make sure no bacteria lingers. Rinse well, and simply double dose water conditioner and you'll be set.

It will be great seeing your progress. Most of all, have fun with it!
                            - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

Did you take the rim off the tank?
                              -Jonathan

Comment

Working...
                              X