DIY Lava Rock Wall(s)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Lava Rock Wall(s)

first IO request no one post until I have all images loaded (should take just two posts since we can only post 5 per post ) Thanks guys and I would love feed back, questions, and complaints! Also you can do this with Live Rocks for saltwater just keep the rocks moist to prevent to much die off!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0074.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	141637
    first here is what you're going to need: (all prices are USD and current as of 3/17/13)
    tank (I used a 10g kit): $29.97
    Great Stuff Big Gap Filler: $3.67
    7lbs bag of Lava Rocks: $4.50
    Scissors: had on hand usually $1
    Latex Gloves but can use any kind of gloves: $3 for a box of 200 pairs
    Plastic mesh (can also use Egg Crate, found at home depot or lowes or any hard ware store with a lighting section): $2
    since it is cold out in the garage i also have a heat lamp i borrowed form my dad to help speed the cure along!

Name:	IMAG0075.jpg
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	141638
    after I opened the bag of lava rock I realized I needed to rinse the dust off the rock... so a bucket of water is needed as well

Name:	IMAG0077.jpg
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	141639
    And proof that a good rinse is needed!

Name:	IMAG0078.jpg
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	141640
    the arrangement on the plastic mesh! (this is my first DIY project so I am sorry it look like crud...)

Name:	IMAG0080.jpg
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	141641
    Alright after adding the great stuff! I added a bit to much on this one so when it cures I will use a knife and cut the excess off! I am not to worried about the white being an eye sore... once i get algae growing i shouldn't have to much to worry about!
    2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
    2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
    1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
    40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
    "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

okay you guys can post stuff now

Name:	IMAG0081.jpg
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	137769
    I decided to do the side walls as well with a wall so this is one side (I didn't take a picture of the other side)

Name:	IMAG0083.jpg
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	137770
    Well I should say i didn't take a picture of it alone lol... here is all three walls! lots of dust in that bag lol

Name:	IMAG0085.jpg
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	137771
    after finishing i was heading back to the house and spotted these guys next to my house No idea what they are but they are really pretty!

I will add more once I start siliconing! found out my job sells 100% silicone
    2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
    "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

Ohhhhh I have those in one spot in my backyard!! I don't know what they are except beautiful.

Thats going to be a cool tank, I agree, once things get gunked up properly the white shouldn't be bad. Nice pics and instructions.
      __________________________________________________ _____
      Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
      110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

yeah were going to be doing a raised bed garden and instead of using mulch I plan to use lava rocks as it won't attract different ants and such!

and thanks I am hoping for an awesome tank! I am not sure if I want it to be bare bottom yet or or get some red sand or something:/
        2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

Thats a good idea! Mine is insect central in the summer.

That would be awesome!!!! I saw this reddish sand in a reptile section somewhere would look great with that lava rock. I don't know if its aquarium safe but I'm pretty sure it was this stuff: http://www.amazon.com/Exo-Terra-Dese...+aquarium+sand

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

yeah I think it is Aquarium safe since i used the white stuff in my Betta Tank and my snails have doubled in size since i added it my LFS sells it... I'll take a closer look at it when i go back in a few days!

yeah maybe you should switch the mulch out for lava rocks...
            2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

Thats good to know, I like sands that are other colors than "sand" so I'll keep that brand in mind.

I might, last year I ended up doing all the work so I was thinking of just planting a squash, zuchinni and cucumbers and just let them grow for the fish without doing a proper garden. I always end up freezing a bunch of the untended vegetables at the end of the season for them anyways.

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Our garden bed is kept by my mom and I dad helps start but that's it lol... I was planning to do a seperate bed for my fish as well haha

Anyways I am going to do a sand bed... But maybe an orange so everything isn't red including the shrimp lol... Oh and I am going to start converting some mts for this tank ans well!
                2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

It's looking good Sean may I suggest black sand it will make the colours pop
                  Never underestimate the power of a smile

Comment

That is going to look fantastic when finished.
                    __________________________________________________ __________
                    Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Originally posted by Sean View Post
                      Our garden bed is kept by my mom and I dad helps start but that's it lol... I was planning to do a seperate bed for my fish as well haha

Anyways I am going to do a sand bed... But maybe an orange so everything isn't red including the shrimp lol... Oh and I am going to start converting some mts for this tank ans well!
                      I love growing my fish their own veggies! Its funny because I'm more concerned with what vegetables I give my fish may have been exposed to than vegetables I eat!

Sarah has a good idea imo too, really can't go wrong with black sand imo.

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Haha nice matt lol...

Hmmm... I guess black it is... My lfs sells it for $20 a bag and it requires less cleaning than blasting sand
                        2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

The silicone set nicely now to wait for the smell to go away... And painting in the morning!!! Also going with black sand so this tank will look awesome in the end... Also going to do CJs idea and make a mini volcano in the middle with a terra cotta pot and some lava rocks

2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

I am liking that a lot. Really looks good even without painting. Probably a stupid question but how do you attach it to the glass? Is it siliconed on?
                            __________________________________________________ __________
                            Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

It's looking good Sean may have to nip over and ninja this tank a long with Chevy's

Ill wait till you have finished first though
                              Never underestimate the power of a smile

Comment

Working...
                              X