Ideas for a built in overflow in FW

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas for a built in overflow in FW

I am in all likely hood getting a 100G tank with a built in overflow, I've never owned a tank with one so I was thinking how I might utilize it. My first idea is to use it to contain my heater and canister inlet, I feel like it would double as a skimmer doing this which is cool. I would then have to figure some cool way to hide the overflow, rock structure or something.

There is also of course using it as it was intended but I'm not allowed to spend anymore money so its got to stay simple for now Any ideas welcome
    __________________________________________________ _____
    Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
    110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Mine came with the same thing. Do you have any idea if it is an sealed or open sump system? Gravity fed?

You can place heaters, UV systems and any mechanical systems in it. You can create a refugium instead too. How cool planted tank on the bottom.

I opted to seal my drilled holes/bulkheads in case of power going out and didn't want it leaking all over the place.

Comment

I would assume gravity fed, from my limited understanding there is a tall pipe for the inlet to the sump and a shorter one for the return, both in the overflow box. Thats about the sum of my knowledge at this time

The bulkheads look epoxied in but I definitely want to keep them in service so in the future I can do a below display system. I will give them a good once over, I have all kinds of fittings and gasket I can redo them with. Once I see it I'll have to figure out a way I'm comfortable with as Plumber to make sure they don't leak. If/when I do a sump I will either have the tank in a room with a floor drain or seal it I think!

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

That should be 2nd nature for you! Think of how you would set up a sump system in a basement. Only difference....instead if pumping water out, you are pumping it back into the tank. I am sure your toolbox has just about everything you need. Just add a submersible pump and you'll be in business.

I would at the least find a way to use it to help with the water changes. Add valves to the lines. And a connector to add tubing.....
        - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
        Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
        Socrates

Comment

Thanks Dena, I'm pretty sure ultimately I will do a sump or refugium. For the time being its just the overflow with the bulkheads capped off so I was thinking if there was anything cool I could do with the space created by it. For now I've just come up with hiding my heater and filter inlet.

I will DEFINITELY be doing all the plumbing when the time comes, there's an old saying, "you can never have too many valves" I love building complex manifolds for work so I'm sure I'll have a ball with it when the time comes.

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Working...
          X