Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please teach me to build my own tank of awesome!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please teach me to build my own tank of awesome!

The picture below has been circling facebook and I am in love with it am I bet kappa would love it for a winter tank... So can someone please help me learn how to make a tank like that... Please... I will get dads permission to set it up in the garage since the house there would be no way lol... So thanks guys for any info and links you can help me find! Ugh I'm so excited haha

Edit: just got dads permission!!! he said it would be an awesome project he said its going to be expensive so after I finish off my live rock stuff I will begin saving for the acrylic/glass for this project! but he did raise a few questions...

how do we get it together like that... I think he meant like a base or something... and anyone know which is better for something of this size (glass or acrylic?) and where to buy some...

Edit 2: I am thinking of making the main tank 6'x4'x4' (about 720g when done 0_0 would be my biggest tank EVER) and I have a CUC setup for the tank already Kappa so far has shown she is friendly with larger fish (since she didn't fight off the 2 full grown Oscars almost eating her to death when I got her...) anyways 1 common pleco, a LARGE school of otos, some Japanese trapdoor snails I have been growing out since November (I believe) and then a large school of Rosy Minnows for food and to make the tank move some

anyways the basking tank will be maybe 2'x2'x2' and I will have a red heat bulb instead of the white one.

edit #3: ol I will edit this until someone actually posts haha any ways found a 6'x3' acrylic wall at lowes (well online) its $65 a sheet so I guess I will do a 6'x3' tank... though I am not sure if I want to try for 3' wide or 4' wide...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Sean; 03-22-2013, 07:38 PM.
    2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
    2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
    1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
    40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
    "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

That looks really awesome!

I don't have any advise unfortunately.

Comment

i know right I am so excited to attempt this... but lots and LOTS of research will be needed as I am NOT a DIY dude but will become one instantly to do this
      2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
      "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

Very cool! I made a tank similar to that a while ago. I used a cement slab (which I poured) as a base but I would use 2x4s for your project. Easy to make a base out of them. I would do 3' wide so you can just get 4 pieces of acrylic instead of more. It would be easier that way. Note that acrylic needs a special type of glue. Silicone won't work. At least it wasn't supposed to work when I was building acrylic tanks.
        -Jonathan

Comment

yeah I was just thinking to get all the same size pieces... lol would be massive ;D anyways what kind of sealant am I suppose to use if not silicone? and do you have any pictures of your build? would be awesome...

and for the base don't you mean get 5 pieces... 1 for the bottom and 4 for the walls... or, well I don;t know lol... (please excuse the sure to be obvious things that i will question to death :/)
          2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

Who is Kappa?

Comment

Originally posted by Cody J View Post
              Who is Kappa?
              I am so ashamed of you... everyone should know who Kappa is! she is the gem of my house Kappa is my Red Ear Slider I saved from 2 full grown oscars at my LFS

also Kappa is a mythological creature from Japanese lore who lived in slow moving rivers and ponds and captured unsupecting people and ate them for food... there favorite food though is a cucumber and its believed that if you carve your name into a cucumber then a Kappa will not come after you (or something like that)
              2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

Nope, sorry. My build was 5 years ago. I has no pictures of it.

Hahaha no, 4 pieces. One for the front pane, one for the back pane, one for the bottom, and one cut in half to fit either side. That builds a rectangle without a lid. I'm assuming you're trying to build a straight tank instead of an L.
                -Jonathan

Comment

oh lol XD I knew that >_> and yes I will build a straight one with a side cut down a bit to allow a 2nd tank for a basking area...

would this acrylic be okay for a tank this large?
                  http://www.lowes.com/pd_11289-1638-1AG1775A_0__
                  Last edited by RogueAgent94; 03-22-2013, 09:18 PM. Reason: Merged posts.
                  2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

Ehh... It's a bit thin. But other than that, yeah it is fine.
                    -Jonathan

Comment

how thick does it need to be? maybe I can find some or call lowes/home depot and see if they can order it for me... I don't want to fill it with water and it bust in half or bow on me

oh and the sealent is it this stuff: WeldOn 4 Solvent cement?

edit: I also would like to get the filtering out of the way... how much should I have with the stocking I have planned?
                      1 RES
                      1 common pleco (maybe 2 if my dumb lfs has more than one)
                      10 Japanese Trapdoor snails
                      group of Otos
                      school of Rosy Minnows (maybe 50? they will be food in the end anyways)

also I doubt it but my friends begging for a shark (red tail, Bala, or rainbow she doesn't care lol) -_- but like i said i doubt it seriously...
                      Last edited by Sean; 03-22-2013, 09:56 PM.
                      2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

I had a red ear slider before his name was red (I know creative name right) and Sean ur gonna have to build me one of these

Comment

hehe if i get mine right I may ;D lol I may have to build 2 just so I can get having a HUGE tank for many different fish/plants lol would be boss!
                          2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

That is an amazing setup. I love it. Probably a silly question because I don't know a lot about turtles (sorry Sean), but won't the acrylic get scratched up by its claws?
                            __________________________________________________ __________
                            Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Originally posted by oscarsbud View Post
                              That is an amazing setup. I love it. Probably a silly question because I don't know a lot about turtles (sorry Sean), but won't the acrylic get scratched up by its claws?
                              more than likely it will... but I am not to worried about it really.. unless I can find some glass of this size and same price i will have to stick with acrylic...
                              2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

Working...
                              X