DIY Wall

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Wall

Ok, so looking at Sean's lava rock walls has got my creative juices flowing. We were at Lowe's yesterday and all they had for lava rock was black, which I didn't really want, but I might be able to make it work. Then I spotted a little bag of river rock. They are very small, rounded rocks and quite colorful.

I am thinking of using them to make a raised stone wall look in one of the corners of Sammy's soon to be new digs. I am going to go get him a 10G this morning and set it up for him.
    __________________________________________________ __________
    Lori

30G, 5G

Pictures and Steps
    It does not matter if you are right or wrong...
    As long as you learn and Keep Moving Forward!

~Anthony

Comment

Of course. The first step is getting OFF the couch and putting down the computer so I can get out of the house .
      Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

So it will have one corner of the tank like a hill and these will be a retaining wall type deal? I can't wait to see
        __________________________________________________ _____
        Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
        110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

If I may suggest instead of the great stuff foam use silicone instead... If I had to do this over I would have.silicone the rock in place instead of used great stuff...
          2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
          2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
          1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
          40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
          "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

I did buy silicone while I was out. The rocks I am going to use are so small the Great Stuff would have overwhelmed it. I also bought a couple of small terra cotta pots. I am "borrowing" an idea from corycats on the other forum. She put one one upside down and then siliconed another on top of it sideways to make kind of a high rise cave. That will work great for the betta that will be going in there.

Edit: totally unrelated but I had to stop at my lfs and came home with 6 pygmy cories. They are the most adorable things ever. Simon and Louie each got 3 put into their tanks. I don't think there will be any problems. So far they are 2 of the most mellow bettas going.
            Last edited by oscarsbud; 03-25-2013, 10:03 AM.
            Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

That's gonna look great! I've never seen a rock wall with colorful rocks like that.

Comment

Started on the wall. Laid it out the way I wanted and then used a toothpick to put a little on each stone to stick it to the plastic canvas.

Whole thing

Closeup of one side

After it cures and I am ready to put it in water, I am going to take apart one of the java moss mats I have and weave some strands of that through the holes in the canvas and hopefully it will take. I also did my terra cotta cave. I dropped one of the pots so it is a little shorter than I wanted, but it will work.

I have playsand and black diamond sand so I am going to do a mix of 2 parts playsand to 1 part black diamond and see what it looks like.
                Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Thats going to look boss when your done!
                  2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
                  "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

hmmm interesting cant wait to see the finished product
                    -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
                    If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
                    Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
                    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

I finished putting my little project together. I took one of my java moss mats and disassembled it and stuffed bits in the canvas holes here and there. I also took 3 small java ferns that hadn't rooted yet and stuffed them in. Then I took Sammy's anubias, and some other plant that I don't know what it is and put them in there. Put in a cycled corner sponge that has been running forever and the heater from Sammy's tank. Lastly I took some bacopa (sp) and put that in there. Filled it with water and now just going to let the tank run for a while before putting Sam in there. I ended up putting him in the kitchen. I had a small section of counter between the fridge and freezer. All that was on there was the radio so I did a switch. I didn't realize that the only playsand I had left was from another tank so there were bits of blue gravel in it that I had to pick out. But on the upside, it didn't take much rinsing .

And now for the pictures. The front of the tank is still full of bubbles. And some of the potting soil somehow made its way through the sand, but I'm pretty happy with the way it came out. And I don't like the full hood, but it's what I have so it'll work for now. So what do you think?

closeup of the moss in the wall

closeup of cave

full shot

Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Dude that's wicked!!!
                        2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

Thank you. I wasn't going to put the stone around the bottom of the terra cotta but after I got it silicone I realized there were gaps in the bottom that a fish could possibly get stuck in.
                          Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Defiantly a good option!
                            2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

That looks great.
                              Please check out:

Forum Rules

Information about Duplicate Posts

Warnings, Infractions and Bannings

Comment

Working...
                              X