java moss wall

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• java moss wall

I've started gathering supplies to do my moss wall. I got the idea whilst thinking about a natural way to lower nitrates with plants that my barbs wouldn't decimate. Of course upon research, I found it was not an original idea. The youtube video show a coarser mesh than what I picked up; I picked up the fiberglass screen material one would use for repairing window screens. What do y'all think? Will itvwork or should I go with the coarser mesh?
    Robin
    55g, 10g, 5g
    55g and another 10g being planned.

I would think that either would work. It would go through the coarser mesh faster than the finer screen mesh, but that's about it. I have used the mesh that onions come in.
    __________________________________________________ __________
    Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

I agree with Lori. It will work but just take a little longer.

How do you plan on fastening it to the side of the tank? I have tried a moss wall many times and can never get the wall to stay where I want it!

Comment

You can get suction cups that you affix to the wall and stick to the side of the tank.
        Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Yes, I have a whole slew of suction cups to hold it. I believe I will get a coarser mesh, also I was considering working some other type of plant in there that doesn't need a substrate. Would that complicate things? I've been reading thatvthe java moss requires a bit of care. Any thoughts on this?

Sincere thanks to y'all,
          Robin
          Robin
          55g, 10g, 5g

Comment

I was under the impression that java moss was a relatively easy thing to keep. How green it looks depends on how much light it gets. There are several different mosses you can try. I don't know how hornwort or one of those other floaters would work. But that is an interesting idea. I am planning on putting java moss in my rock wall I am building, but now I think I might wait to see what kind of responses you get. It would be nice to mix it up a bit.
            Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

ive been growing a moss wall in my orange shrimp tank for about 3 months now. its really filled in nice (i can snap a pic later if it helps). i used craft mesh (latchook rug stuff), tulle (tutu material), a little fishing line and air line suction cups. i used the craft mesh for the back, spread my moss thin and used the tulle as a mesh screen over the tank side (green before it all grows in), using the fishin line to anchor everything tightly on the plastic mesh. i slit a few squares in the craft mesh to get a good spot to anchor the airline clips in the wall. one on each side up top, pushed into the sand at the bottom.
              no ferts or co2 (too paranoid with my neos), but i need to trim the wall already
              36g ram community, 10g blue jelly shrimp, 10g orange pumpkin shrimp, 5g ADF, 12g reef, 55g hex reef

Comment

(i can snap a pic later if it helps)
                I'd appreciate that. Do you get nasty schumtz trapped behind the wall?
                Chris (the 'h' is silent)

Comment

havent noticed anything stuck behind it yet, but ive got a decent amount of space. i figured id never get it shrimplet proof, might as well make it manageable.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	mosswall side.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	137857
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	orange shrimp FTS.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	137858
                  36g ram community, 10g blue jelly shrimp, 10g orange pumpkin shrimp, 5g ADF, 12g reef, 55g hex reef

Comment

Thank you!
                    Chris (the 'h' is silent)

Comment

Thank you, I think I'll use some of your experience with mine.
                      Robin
                      55g, 10g, 5g

Comment

Working...
                      X