Strange issues with DIY co2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange issues with DIY co2

Hello there. I have a two 2-liter bottle with a bubble counter as my DIY co2 setup. About 22 hours into the process I discover that bubbles were coming out from the bottles at a rate of 1-2 bps. However, the strange thing was that my bubble counter-which was a small water bottle with a small thin cap with two bulk head fittings with one tube going into the water contained in the water bottle, and the other leaving the bottle into the check valve and into the aquarium.

For some reason, while bubbles were coming out of the tube, well actually the tube popped off of the nano diffuser because these diffusers require more pressure than what DIY co2 can supply, I could not see any bubbles coming out of the tube going from the two generator bottles into the bubble counter bottle. Why would I get bubbles into the tank, but not see any in the bubble counter I made. Any thoughts or explanations?

Was it bubbling into the tank for a very short time? If so, maybe it was the built up gas in the counter relieving itself since it couldn't go through the diffuser.
    __________________________________________________ _____
    Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
    110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

I suppose that is possible. When I discover the bubbling into the tank and not in the bubble counter, I stuck a cigarette filter in the end of the tube in the tank to diffuse it better since the nano diffuser wasn't working. The bubbles stop when I did that. I am starting a new batch today with a heat lamp under the tank were the two 2-liter generators are held, my house is in the sixties right now so i'll keep it on at night. I have also changed my bubble counter to instead of a larger water bottle, I have changed it to a small horseradish glass jar. So this should help, less space for the pressure to go through. I also redid the sealing on the caps by just pulling the tubs through the cap instead of bulkhead fittings. I also sealed with calking instead of aquarium sealant. It would work this time

Oh since my temps are a little cold, especially at night, should I leave the heat lamp on all the time or just at night?

Comment

Hopefully you will figure it out. As the gas gets into the tank with no diffuser it sounds a bit like you have a leak somewhere in the system.
        - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
        Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
        Socrates

Comment

Working...
        X