Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question: Using Acids to remove Glass scratches

Hi All

My new tank has some scratches in it, deep enough to be felt with your fingernail. I was researching different methods and plan on trying the jewelers rouge and/or toothpaste but acid seems a really quick effective alternative for deeper ones.

Has anyone ever used this technique before? I was reading 20% hydrochloric acid can be used or muriatic acid from Home Depot, I have also heard hydrofluoric acid would be better but it sounds very scary and I am not touching that.

I have also read accounts going both ways that this technique works fantastically and others say the acid plain won't effect glass, I'm no chemistry buff so thoughts, suggestions? Thanks in advance
    __________________________________________________ _____
    Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
    110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

How about trying an auto shop? they repair glass scratches on windshields and stuff don't they?
    When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the fire department usually use water.

Comment

Yeah Al, it's just really easy to get to the point where the tanks not worth it if I have to pay for services/equipment to get it done mechanically. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Befriend a mechanic for 3 or so weeks, get it done free, defriend mechanic. boom, sorted.
        When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the fire department usually use water.

Comment

Haha Al!!! My stepdad is a glazier and he told me to rub it with a whetstone, no way! I am quite positive it would be 10x worse when I was done! I use the whetstone for the edges sometimes and it takes alot of glass off.

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

That sounds scary and dangerous HCl isn't necessarily any better than HF too you know Actually as you gown down the halogen column (second to last from the right on the periodic table), they get more acidic. So an equally-concentrated solution of HI is much more acidic than HF.

As for whether or not it will dissolve glass, I'm not sure. I'll ask some friends and get back to you.

Comment

Thanks Zumi When I was reading about HF I came across info that it won't necessarily burn your skin badly but can soak through and will destroy calcium, like your bones, AHHHHHHH!!!!

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

So my clever boyfriend noticed that they wouldn't use glass for labware if you could dissolve it with acid I've used VERY concentrated acids in lab before and they're stored in glass containers.

Comment

I thought of glassware being used in a lab but figured there are people who know a lot more than me out there about this and didn't want to speculate that since labware is often made of glass its impervious to all acids.

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

I doubt it's impervious to all acids, but most likely to any acids that are commercially available.

Comment

Originally posted by kinezumi89 View Post
                      Glass is impervious to all acids.
                      Then why say that?

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

I meant all concentrations of acids normal people can get Fine, next time you ask a question and I know the answer I won't reply for fear of not being clear enough

Comment

Originally posted by kinezumi89 View Post
                          Glass is also impervious to any acid scientists can get, I also like answering questions I know the answer to and getting shot down, also Matt is the awesomest
                          I would believe you but then you wrote this. And really Zumi "awesomest" Thats not even a word.
                          Last edited by Matt B; 04-02-2013, 11:40 AM.

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Originally posted by Matt B View Post
                            I'm sorry I'm being a meanie, Zumi, I'll send you some free fish and cookies in the mail right away.
                            Gee Matt, that's so nice of you, apology accepted! I'll take some of those loaches.

Also I realized I never said your first altered quote, you meanie Making me second-guess myself :;smack

Comment

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Working...
                              X