DIY Tank

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Tank

Thinking about making a tank because i want some specific dimensions. Anyone ever made a tank before? What are the pros and cons with glass vs acrylic?

The dimensions I have in mind right now are 48"x48"x12". Basically I want a shallow, square tank. Thinking on a 3' stand. Tank dimension calculator puts this about 120 gallons. Basically this would be three 40g longs combined into one.
    sigpic

Well... I like your idea except the 12" ... why not 18"... room to play.... Also tempered glass would be the way to go VS. Acrylic.... Unless you know how to care for acrylic...
    It does not matter if you are right or wrong...
    As long as you learn and Keep Moving Forward!

~Anthony

Comment

18" is too deep. The fish I will build this for live in shallow water. Also it would be easier to do maintenance since ill have to reach two feet in to the middle of the tank. This is just an idea right now but Im really trying to think how to make it work.

Like i said though, i really just want the giant footprint a 4'x4' tank would provide, depth isnt necessary, in fact 12" was adding some "play room" in my mind.

Whats commercially available tank has the biggest footprint to begin with?
      Last edited by RogueAgent94; 04-05-2013, 04:29 AM. Reason: Merged posts.
      sigpic

Comment

Wow... you guess would be as mine... what fish are you looking at, you have me curious!

~Anthony

Comment

This would be for fish i currently have plus a few compatible dwarf cichlid (west african) species. Would also stock the surface with a nice sized group of African Butterfly Fish. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365126765.694409.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	137981

Used to have some but my cat figured out how to snatch them out of the tank.

Its a stock idea in progress though. Maybe a group of upside down cats too. Love those. African river fish only so it would be a plecoless tank. i say that because i almost always have some type of pleco.
          sigpic

Comment

Hahaha... I keep saying that I am going to get those too (upside down catfish)... I don't know why I haven't yet, maybe tomorrow lol

Reticulated Hillstream Loaches have truly amazed me!
            Last edited by AquaAnt; 04-04-2013, 07:02 PM.

~Anthony

Comment

I had a group of 6, you don't see them during the day much. They like to hover under plant leaves.
              sigpic

Comment

It sounds like a turtle tank. I haven't seen them in stores but maybe they could order one in. My dad had one I believe was 3'x3'x1' he bought from a reptile place in the SF bay area. I imagine it would take some hunting to find one that large but figured it worth mentioning a reptile supplier may have them too.
                __________________________________________________ _____
                Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
                110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Thanks Matt, that might be worth looking into.
                  sigpic

Comment

~Anthony

Comment

It would be cool to have some kind of tapered land mass island in the middle. lol, great, now you've caused me to imagine more.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Treefork View Post
                        It would be cool to have some kind of tapered land mass island in the middle. lol, great, now you've caused me to imagine more.
                        That would look amazing! An island in the middle of the lake.
                        __________________________________________________ __________
                        Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365183215.619907.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	137995

Excuse my sketch skills. Smaller picture maybe an above view. Maybe plant some terrestrial grass and a bonsai tree or something.
                          sigpic

Comment

you could do some mangrooves
                            2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
                            2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
                            1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
                            40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
                            "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

Looks like you are really onto something. You could make your own little ecosystem.
                              __________________________________________________ __________
                              Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Working...
                              X