DIY sump chambers question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY sump chambers question

I am building a sump filter out of a 15 gal tank for a fw tank. My question is do I really need to install baffles and make a separate chamber for the pump? Space is tight and it'll be alot easier if I can put heaters and pump in the same compartment. I am not planning on plants or critters in the sump so that was the only reason I could think of to put it in a separate chamber. Opinions please.
    __________________________________________________ _____
    Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
    110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Can't answer about the baffles, but yes on separating the pump. You don't want the pump to get clogged with debris or the bioballs.
    Please check out:

Forum Rules

Information about Duplicate Posts

Warnings, Infractions and Bannings

Comment

I am going to have all the mechanical in the first chamber so water entering the pump/heater area would be filtered. I also considered just putting a block of foam on the pump inlet as backup.

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Is this gravity fed or pump fed into the sump? Just a word of caution, keep an eye on the foam block because it has a tendency to clog up.

This is what I had as a divider for my sump.

http://www.eplastics.com/Plastic/Lig.../W-EGG-375X2X4

Click image for larger version

Name:	Matt.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	138473

Black circles- Bio balls
        Yellow bar- coarse sponge
        Red Bar-blue sponge
        Last edited by NorthStar; 05-09-2013, 09:19 AM.
        Please check out:

Forum Rules

Information about Duplicate Posts

Warnings, Infractions and Bannings

Comment

Gravity fed into the sump, I will of course, be positioning the baffles to allow for bypass should the media become clogged. If it works like I think it will anything that makes it into the pump/heater area will be far too small to be caught by eggcrate, it would have went through coarse foam and poly fil before entering the pump chamber.

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

I would think you will be ok without an extra one, esspecially if you have it set up kinda like NS posted. I might consider avoiding the foam on the intake of the pump due to bio growth and such.
            -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
            If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
            Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
            Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

You definitely need some kind of divider to keep the media away from the pump. I use egg crate to do that. You can instal glass or acrylic but that's too much work IMO.

As for foam and such, what I did was I filled my sump with bioballs and ceramic rings and then put an aquaclear HOB on the back of the sump. I filled that with foam. The HOB took the water out of the compartment the pump was in and emptied into the bioballs and ceramic. Works fairly well too.
              -Jonathan

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys.

I don't know how to do the paint thing like NS but I am kinda going for this essentially, I need/want the open space with the pump for heaters, I'll have mechanical and biological before the pump area:

https://www.google.com/search?q=sump...tm%3B500%3B277

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Working...
                X